what program/code used for start-up sites?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by iOrlando, Sep 16, 2009.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

3. MasterDev macrumors 65816

Just my opinion, but PHP is the best way to go...

I didn't care much for Ruby On Rails

4. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

what didnt you like about ruby?

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

The availability of affordable talent is one reason not to choose Ruby. Less choice for hosting is another. The language/Rails framework is great - but the reality is that PHP continues to be the most popular (by a lot) technology used by websites nowadays.

6. MasterDev macrumors 65816

You are right on.

The only other thing is that I honestly don't have that much time to learn fully and switch everything over to Ruby. PHP works just fine for me.

7. foshizzle macrumors regular

just wondering - How could you notice that the first site was done with ruby (on rails)? I understand the PHP site, but this one didn't have any extensions on the pages.

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

And that's how he was pretty sure it was a Ruby site.

One of Ruby's big things is with "pretty" URLs.

9. foshizzle macrumors regular

thanks. It is a nice look to have the URLs like that. The page looks really appealing as well - very nice design in my opinion.

10. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

so you just download php and go to work?

or do you use php in addition to something else?

any good tutorial sites/blogs out there on php besides php.net?

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Educated guess. The URLs and then I googled the Lead Engineer who actively asks Ruby related questions ;)

This can be accomplished in any technology using either index pages, or a rewrite-rule that can intercept any request and forward to a controller.

12. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

To do anything of substance, you'll need three things.

Web Server
    *insert server side technology PHP, Ruby, Perl, Java, .NET, Python, etc...*
    Database

To get quickly started with PHP, check out XAMPP or MAMP. Nice self contained install. Plenty of webites out there, just google...

13. foshizzle macrumors regular

PHP is a language, not a program. If you have a mac, you have PHP 'installed' as well as an apache web server. Go to system preferences->sharing and enable web sharing. Then you'll be shown two links, one to your computer's site and one to your site. They are basic HTML sites, and the computer site has apache info (apache is the web server). You'll need to lookup how to enable PHP on apache your mac as well. After that, just go to your user folder/sites and put your .php files in there.

w3schools.com is a good place to start with general web design. Get a good book if you really want to get serious with it.

14. mamcx macrumors regular

If you want only a site for your company, use a already done one, like wordpress.

If you want to start to develop from zero, start with the BEST tool you can get. PHP is not.

I suggest pick django or ROR. Why? Because you start not only with language but better yet, a framework. Django, for example, let you build a website smart from the start. Good architecture, good quality, performance, security, documentation, MVC, layout/template done rigth, support for multiple database, ORM (object interface to the db, and very good IMHO), etc... And the language is a joy to use.

And about the hosting... if you want something serious, anyway is better to chosee a VPS or a inexpensive and well rated host as http://www.webfaction.com/hosting/django-hosting.

But if you want to build something to deploy in ANY-CHEAP-LOW QUALITY-HOST then yeah, pick php+mysql. And better, find a framework similar to ROR o Django.

15. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Enlighten us

Cost != quality

I've found Zend to be quite nice as an option PHP - http://framework.zend.com/

16. johnselmos macrumors newbie

I started with PHP, and learned a lot from building sites with it. Its unsecure and can make for ugly code, but it allows you to see a lot of what's going on between the browser and the database - it gives you a nice knowledge base to work from.

After that though, I started using Django and I'll probably never go back. Django + Python is the perfect combination for building big sites (in my opinion, anyways).

17. X-Cart macrumors newbie

X-Cart

Yes, Zend becomes more and more popular, and it is really good extension for PHP.