what program do i use to make cupcake toppers?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by kleap, Apr 15, 2010.

  1. kleap macrumors newbie

    Apr 15, 2010
    hi! i have question for graphic designers on what programs are used to make cupcake toppers similar to the attached picture. i'm a stay at home mom and would like to learn how to make these for my son's upcoming birthday party. can you please tell me what computer programs is used?


    Attached Files:

  2. RedTomato macrumors 68040


    Mar 4, 2005
    .. London ..
    Interesting question.

    I suspect it's not so much the design program - you can create these designs with any decent design program - photoshop, illustrator, MS Paint etc - it's the printer.

    You probably need a specialised printer that can print with food-grade inks on edible paper.

    But I'm not a whizz at making cakes - you might be better off asking in a cooking forum if there's any way of making these cake tops at home. Design is easy, it's the requirement that these images be edible that is hard.
  3. tkingart macrumors 6502


    Apr 1, 2010
    West Coast
    Believe it or not, I've actually seen such a program. But it was holiday-specific (Halloween.), and it was junk.

    Check out PrintShop Deluxe (are they still around?), I thought they made a lot of garb...er... I mean craft/art-related software.
  4. techound1 macrumors 68000


    Mar 3, 2006
    Here's a link to one of many transfer paper manufacturers:


    I google searched "cake frosting transfer paper" and there were loads of options.
  5. RedTomato macrumors 68040


    Mar 4, 2005
    .. London ..
    Thanks for that. Looks interesting - 'uses photocake edible Icing sheets, photocake edible ink cartridges'. So that's how.

    I might look for a similar UK service so I can get some edible photos of my sprogs printed for their birthdays.

    A groatse print would be nice for the office party cake :) Chocolate cake of course ...
  6. angello macrumors newbie

    Apr 21, 2010
  7. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a


    Mar 4, 2004
    Those look like simple printouts on a heavy paper stock (cardstock) and glued to white sticks (or popsicle-style).

    I would avoid the edible paper/ink path as you'll need a specialized printer which tends to be in the $500 range.

    Another option to explore is the Cricut cake pattern machine...that runs around $300.

Share This Page