What program do you use for video conferencing ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tejota1911, May 15, 2007.

1. tejota1911 macrumors 6502

I am looking for a program to use for video conferencing on my Macs. Which you you suggest? Are there any free ones? I was using iChat, but my .mac membership ran out, and I'm not sure if I want to pay $99 per computer to keep it going.

2. tobysdesk macrumors newbie

You could use Yahoo Messenger, or Mercury Messenger which is actually a third party version of MSN Messenger since the real MSN Messenger for Mac doesn't support video conferencing.

3. joeconvert macrumors 6502

If you are just doing person to person calls, I have had pretty good luck with Skype using video on my Macbook. Don't have anything meaningful feedback for multi-caller conferences as they are audio only in Skype.

4. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Xmeeting is a cool multi-person conference call video/audio chat client. It uses sip and h.26-something. It was in beta about a year ago, but worked well on macs. If everyone else you know is using mac or linux, it is a great choice. you will need to read up on it, and how it works, but once you set it up, it's pretty much click and go.

Brian

6. Queso macrumors G4

I always use Skype. iChat has never been particularly reliable for me, and I can't be bothered jumping through hoops to get MSN to work. Since virtually everyone I know has Skype anyway, that's what we've settled on.

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Cant you just get a free AIM username and continue to use iChat? Thats what i do. Go to AIM.com and click on 'Get Free Username' once its sorted create a new iChat account using an AIM name instead of .mac.

8. superted666 Guest

superted666

Bang on, thats what i do as well. Its exactley the same quality etc

9. Badradio macrumors 6502

Your .mac email address is still valid as an iChat login isn't it? I used the .mac trial and created an email address/username, and used that to log in to iChat. Then the trial ended, but I'm sure the username was still ok to use. I can't check as I have .mac authorised on this machine, but can someone else confirm this?

10. BioChron macrumors regular

BioChron

Why not use an AIM account for iChat? Anyway, I like both iChat and Skype.

11. nightelf macrumors 6502

12. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Same

13. warfa macrumors regular

YEp! thats true, even if you don't have .mac anymore or your trial expired, you can still use your .mac username for iChat. it will work!
    so if your happy with iChat, then just continue using it ;)