What program or command can use that shows how much memory a program is using?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pinter, Aug 24, 2010.

1. pinter macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I am running super low on memory with my iPhone at just 25 MB of free memory and I am just wondering if there is a program or command that shows how much memory a program is using as it's running low and I am not sure why.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Question: How do you know you're low on memory if you don't have something that tells you this already? Is there an app out there that tells you your memory is low and doesn't say anything else?

At any rate, it doesn't matter. When the phone runs out of memory it will clear out the program that you haven't used for the longest amount of time and will re-claim that memory.

It's automatic. There's no need for you to do anything.

3. pinter thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using SBsettings which tells me how much free memory I have. Like right now I have 17MB free yet it doesn''t tell me which program is using all this memory and if I go to "kill processes" I only see apples programs running.

3 days ago, I have 350 MB free so it's quite the difference and i want to determine what is it.

Thanks

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It doesn't matter what apps you run, the phone will keep filling up the memory until it's full. This allows it to get the most use of the RAM as it possibly can. So even if you clear stuff it'll just fill right back up again.

It's not anything to worry about. That's how it's supposed to work.

5. pinter thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh ok. Guess I am worried as I know what happens when Windows runs out of ram and hits swap and it's not good.

Thanks for your help.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

iPhones manage memory very differently from Windows, so you really don't have to worry about it. There WERE apps (and some may still be available by jailbreak) that force memory to free up, but in truth, they don't really do a whole lot to help.

iPhones manage memory similar to the way Macs do. Apps use what they need, and then a good part of the remaining free memory is used to cache and buffer to speed up processes.

7. pinter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the little explanation as I have never owned a Mac before and I am still learning as I go along.