What program to burn a DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by one1, Jan 26, 2008.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

I have iLife '06 on my computer so I have iDVD and iMovie, are either of those helpful or do I need to find something to compress the file an burn it? It obviously need to be compressed, but I have never tried to burn a movie before.

The file is 8 gig. I ripped it from a disk with Mac the Ripper and I want to make another disk to use in both my cars for trips. Needs to be a free program at the moment. I may never burn another dvd.

Thanks for any help. :)

Macbook
    Leopard

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

try DVD remaster to reduce file size to 4.5G
    try DVD imager to make the file into a*.iso
    try simplyburns to burn *.iso to a blank DVD

Boy I would like an app like DVDShrink(Windows) or K9copy(Linux) for mac.

3. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

That seems like a PITA..... :(

I D/L'ed imTOO dvd creator and it was an all in one thing, but it crashed when I added the video folder :(

I even DL'ed the intel version, it simply didn't work.

I appreciate the response, anyone know any other one shot programs?

4. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Toast will burn and compress if needed video files to fit on a DVD.

5. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

I came up with a program called DVD copy I found on google. It burned it to DVD and it works in my playstation 2, but it will not play on apple DVD player if I insert the disk.

6. Arrow20 macrumors newbie

Burnt Toast!

I have a .mov file from iMovie that I've been trying to burn on to a DVD. I am using the latest version of Toast Titanium 8 (which I bought as an update from Toast 6 in the hope that it would fix the problem) but I keep coming up with Error messages.
    Sense Key = Illegal request
    Invalid Field in CDB
    sense code = 0x2

Also one about an Incompatible medium installed

I have a Imac G4.. mac OS X 10.4.11
    The DVD writer is pioneer dvd-rw dvr -106D

I have tried lots of things including different discs,converting to quicktime file, and converting file to MPEG4 but the error messages just keep coming! Not sure if it is a Toast prob or something else but I am pretty fed up with it. :mad:

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Try Burn. It's an open-source burner for OS X.

8. JudasX macrumors newbie

i love burning dvds (legal backup copies of course)

my preferred method is to use mactheripper for a full video rip

and then I use DVD2oneX2 to compress the file to fit it all on one dvd

...on a sidenote i also have Toast which is a must-have for any user who truly dedicates their time to video files, conversions, and burning

None of these are free, but dropping the dollar is worth it if you use the apps enough

9. Arrow20 macrumors newbie

Yeh, I agree - that's why I bought Toast - but I am disappointed that I am having so much trouble with it and have yet to burn a DVD successfully!

10. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I just went through this same search for a solution and here's what I came to.

I could never get any of the open-source solutions (Burn, etc) to work and iDVD would take forever to "remaster" the DVD and it would degrade the quality. I ended up spending $49 for Popcorn 3 and using that (Toast was overkill for me).

Now, I rip to a Video_TS file with Mac the Ripper, then use Popcorn to strip out extraneous languages, soundtracks, etc and then burn to a single, uncompressed single-layer DVD. It works perfectly every time and the quality is much better than I was getting ripping to a video file then using iDVD.

11. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Toast doesn't burn video files very well. I can never get the DVDs to play on anything other than a computer. You need a program like VisualHub to convert the file to DVD and then burn the Video_TS folder created by VH with Toast.

12. Arrow20 macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks I'll give it a go! Is it a free program?

13. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

I have never had a problem with Toast. Toast 8 is pretty fast at compressing a DL DVD to a 4.7 gb, and then burning the disk. I also have used popcorn 3 which is made by the same company, and had luck with it as well. I think its about $80 for toast and $50 for popcorn, although I don't remember exactly.

14. Arrow20 macrumors newbie

Toast 8 is rubbish!

I have converted my file using visualHub ( I bought program) and tried to burn video_ts file using Toast 8 and I STILL get error messages. I am very fed up!
    :eek:

15. davidleon macrumors member

Arrow20:

If Toast is giving you these errors:

1. Make sure you can play the VIDEO_TS folder with Apple DVD Player.

2. If you can play the VIDEO_TS folder with Apple DVD Player, use DVD Imager (freeware) to make a disc image (IMG file) of the VIDEO_TS folder.

3. Burn your new IMG file with Disk Utility.

16. Arrow20 macrumors newbie

Did two out of three

I completed steps 1 and 2 but not sure how to go No. 3. How do i burn the img file with Disk Utility? Every time I put a DVD disk in - Toast 8 comes up.
    NOt sure where to go from here??

17. davidleon macrumors member

1. Make sure that you don't have a DVD in the optical drive.

2. Quit Toast and open Disk Utility.

3. Insert a blank DVD into the optical drive. (Don't worry about Toast starting.)

4. Drag and drop the disc image (IMG file) into the left-hand side Disk Utility box.

5. Select the disc image (IMG file) that is now in the left-hand side Disk Utility box by clicking on it. (This should highlight the disc image in Disk Utility.)

6. Click the Burn icon in the Disk Utility toolbar.

7. Select the burn speed and you're good to go.

18. JudasX macrumors newbie

arrow-

what file format are you trying to convert to DVD file so that it will play in a standalone? you don't necessarily need visualhub, although it is another top notch app.

For me, I have burned .divx, .avi, .mpeg4, .mov all successfully to a DVD that can play in a standalone player. In Toast 8 Titanium, just click on the DVD-Video tab, drop the file in and burn it with the best quality possible. If this isn't working, than what do the error messages say? You can also burn it to a VIDEO_TS folder and then use disk utility as was mentioned.

also, what is your ultimate goal for dvds? maybe we can recommend the best setup for you...

Cheers-
    JX

19. Arrow20 macrumors newbie

Error message again!

All I want to do is to put a iMovie file I created on to a DVD to play in a stand alone machine.
    When I tried to burn the IMG file in Disk Utility - I got the following message:
    "Unable to burn (File name) - The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media"

What is this about!

20. Arrow20 macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thank you so much for instructions - i followed them and.... see below for results!

21. Arrow20 macrumors newbie

Disk utility message

I got to Step 6 and a message came up in the Disk Utility Progress window saying:
    Unable to burn (file name) - the device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media.

What now!

22. JudasX macrumors newbie

what happens when you drag and drop into toast as a DVD movie or even a VIDEO_TS file? if it doesn't convert...than what does it say?

maybe you can even try a video CD...although this format isn't accepted on all players

also...the problem could be the file you saved in iMovie. maybe you can go back to your project, save it in a new format and try conversion again.

23. davidleon macrumors member

Arrow:

The error suggests either a malfunctioning DVD burner, incompatible media, or poor quality media. How large is the disc image that you're attempting to burn? What media are you using? Does your DVD burner support the media you're using (check system profiler)?

24. laxhawkeye11 macrumors newbie

most reliable dvds?

When i try to burn a lot of dvds with Popcorn 3 a lot of times it gives me a "Hardware error." On their website Popcorn says that this happens some times certain brands of DVDs are less reliable than others. I have Memorex right now. Does anyone know a brand of DVD that is more reliable with Macs or Popcorn 3?