Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
All I have is my iBook. No instraments nothing. Just my Keyboard - Trackpad - and me. I want to make music. Like Audi tracks and beats and what not. What program do I need? It seems like garage band is more for recording with real instraments. Thanks

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I do just fine with Garage Band and my input for my electric guitar. Decent sound for me.

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
iBunny said:
It seems like garage band is more for recording with real instraments.

I don't think I would make that statement. Sure, GB can record real instruments, but a ton of it's power lies in the software instruments (and loops). You can set up your keyboard to cover an octave of a piano keyboard and then key in the notes you want. Then, you can change the instrument that those notes are "played through" at will. Then record another with a different software instrument. Add some loops and you're on your way.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
CanadaRAM said:
GarageBand can make use of AppleLoops to put together tracks, you can buy additional loops and sounds.

But from the sounds of it, you might get off on something like Propellerheads Reason -- it is a self contained studio with synthesizers, effects, sequencerrs and loop playback galore. It does not need any live instrument input. http://www.propellerheads.se/index.cfm

I can attest to Reason. I used it back in it's 1.0 days, and it's so very intuitive. some of the best work i ever made was thanks to that program!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.