What programs do you use to unlock an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cupcakes, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Cupcakes macrumors newbie

Well, I plan on getting the new iPhone 3G but I don't have a AT&T and have T-mobile; I've been told that it's very easy to unlock it for T-mobile. What programs would I use and if there a tutorial for it? I'm on a mac too. :apple::D Do I just switch the sim cards too? As you can see I'm pretty darn clueless. There is youtube videos but they don't help.

Anything you know about this unlocking thing please pleas tell me I'd like to know anything and everything about it! Thanks
    !!

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

besides the fact you have to sign up with an att contact before you walk out of the store with the iphone lol

3. Cupcakes thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? Don't they sell them at apple stores? :eek:

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

they do and the same thing applies. you have to get a contract, no way around it

5. Cupcakes thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh alright, well couldn't you dis-able the contract after a little while of having it? Well other people have gotten it on T-mobile there should be some wa to get it...

And when you put it on T-mobile do you still have all the same features? Oh and is this unlocking thing legal? I would hate to do something illegal for a stupid phone. :(

6. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

1. Don't change your font size because you are making it impossible to read.

2. The iPhone 3G cannot be software unlocked yet.

3. Even if the iPhone 3G could be software unlocked, the 3G service is not compatible with T-Mobile 3G service. T-Mobile uses the 1700 Mhz band. The iPhone 3G uses 850, 1900 and 2100. You will be limited to EDGE.

4. When you buy an iPhone 3G at an AT&T store or an Apple store in the US you are required to sign a 2 year contract. Yes you can cancel it but you have to wait until after you have had service for 30 days otherwise you have to return the iPhone and pay a restocking fee.

5. All of the above have been discussed at length all over this forum. If you have specific questions try doing a search as they have most likely been answered.

Hope all that helps.

7. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

If you buy a 2g phone you can unlock it with Pwnage very quickly.

8. realitydream macrumors newbie

you could buy an unlocked one from Europe, and then use it in the USA, but you won't get 3G on T Mobile until they launch their new 3G network later this year.