What Programs use OpenCL?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chris.niziolek, Aug 30, 2009.

1. chris.niziolek macrumors member

I have a question about how OpenCL works. What programs can utilize the GPU for processing? Does it happen automatically, or does the programming within the application have to state that the GPU can be used?

It seems like everyone is excited about OpenCL and GPU acceleration, but how often is it used?

Chris

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

There are currently not ANY programs that I know of. The reason we are so excited it because when there finally is programs that start taking advantage of it we should see HUGE performance increases in the program. GPU's are much much better at certain kinds of task. there are some CAD programs and some high level special programs for scientist and such that already have been using gpu acceleration with special gpu's known as workstation cards but now any application can take advantage of this on almost any mac computer!

3. chris.niziolek thread starter macrumors member

Thank you,

My other question is, I have a 2007 2.0GHz MBP Core Duo (Dinosaur in comparison) with a ATI Radeon X1600 256MB. Should I upgrade to a New MBP to fully utilize the new features of Snow Leopard, like Grand Central, OpenCL, and 64-Bit?

Chris

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Wouldn't be a bad idea, just because the CPU is a 32-bit CPU, and that gfx card isn't supported under the OS X OpenCL requirements.

5. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I say if it is still working for what you are doing fine I say keep it! But if you are like me and want to keep up with the newest software and technology I would definitely get a new one. It really depends on how you think and what you use it for.

6. modernmagic macrumors member

Any new opencl apps?

Since the OP in August, can anyone list any programs that use openCL?

7. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

8. Smacky macrumors 6502

9. apw100 macrumors regular

Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4 numerous 3D renderers(Indigo, Lux), various video transcoders.