What PS3 should I get?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Unprocessed1, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I'm having trouble deciding whether to get an old backwards-compatible 60GB, 80GB or brand new (and not BC) 80GB PS3.

I'd really like to be able to play my old final fantasy games without having to buy a PS2, which is the only thing holding me back on buying a new 80GB PS3.

The things holding me back on the 60GB and 80GB (BC) Ps3's are the fact they're older machines and are more prone to blu-ray drive problems.

What should I do?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Where is your evidence for this ? I have both USA launch 60GB with BC, and a launch Euro model and neither have had blu-ray drive problems.

I've yet to read of blu-ray drive problems, and no-one here has to my knowledge posted about it ?
    :confused::confused:

3. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

The "yellow light of death." It's a general failure of the blu ray drive. Google for it. Granted it's pretty rare (especially compared to hardware failures on the 360) but I'm nervous to spend $400 on a 3 year old Ps3, having it break, then dishing out another $150 to get it fixed. But the BC is a HUGE deal for me, and the slim Ps2's are still $80 on ebay.

I really wish the new PS3's could still play Ps2 and Ps1 games :(

4. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

True, but I think the chances of it having BC are slim to none. ;)

Speaking of slim, I just bought a Ps2 slim (in silver) on ebay for only $60, so it looks like I'll be getting a new PS3 and a very handy handy 1 year warranty.

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I have the original 60GB with BC. I would buy one of those. However, the new non-BC ones are quieter and cooler.

Honestly, I would wait for the PS3 slim that's likely coming out before Christmas. It may have BC, since Sony just filed a bunch of patents for software-based PS2 emulation on the cell processor.

6. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

As a full time college student, I really can't afford to waste this summer away w/o a PS3. :D

The only reason for my dilemma between the BC and new PS3 is my need to beat FFVII, FFX, and FFXII once more.

7. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Well I'm fairly close to winning a backwards-compatible 80GB PS3 for just around the $300 price range, so I guess I'll just sell my Ps2 slim when I get it.

But the description of the PS3 is a little strange considering the sellers other PS3 auctions all state something like "tested in perfect/excellent working condition."

The only description about the condition of this PS3 is

It would be assumed the PS3 would be in perfect working condition, especially if it says the machine was fully tested? Weird he didn't put that it worked fine though...

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well there was some newsage before about Sony looking into PS2 emulation. I'm sure one of the more news scavengers knows more about it though. So maybe just get a new PS3 and cross your fingers that PS2 emulation rears its ugly head later down the road.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Dude you have a PS2 already...just go to best buy and grab the killzone 2/MGS4 bundle before they fade away. The latest PS3 run cooler/quieter than the old ones so just do it.

Bless

10. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Actually I just bought a PS2 and a PS3 on ebay. If I bought the PS3 at BB I would be spending close to $500 w/taxes. I only spent $300 on the backwards compatible PS3 with shipping.

11. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

You know the 80GB doesn't work with every game right? I believe it only has partial PS2 hardware emulation and the rest is done in software. I'm sure it works with the Final Fantasy series. However, you might want to check Sony's Web site to make sure it doesn't have issues.

12. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Thanks for the head up. I actually already checked, and it is mostly compatible with the FF series but there are some glitches in FF7 and FF8, but nothing extra compared to the 20GB and 60GB models.

13. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

i bought a used PS3 off ebay two years ago and i haven't had any issues with it to date. Plus it has the hardware backwards compatibility plus all the ports. Plus you can upgrade your hardware yourself. :)

14. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I should be getting mine tomorrow or Friday. I owned a 60GB PS3 for several years but never really used it. Hopefully my 80GB will get more usage.

15. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

True, but the 60GB PS3's are in a finite supply

16. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Why exactly did you want a 80 over a 60? I have a 60 launch with a 500GB drive in it. I've had it for a couple of years, Considering its 3 years old in November ;).

60GB launch units are far from infinite in supply, most that have them cling on to them.

17. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

see finite

18. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Just because the new PS3's have a one year warranty, are brand new, quieter and cooler, and also come bundled with good games. The 60GB is more at risk for problems like blu ray drive failure, but it 3 years old. I know that s huge majority of Ps3's will never have a problem though.

I guess I got the best of both worlds by finding a BC 80GB for $290. I should be getting it today.