What push mail solution do I need?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Patrick G., Oct 20, 2008.

1. Patrick G. macrumors newbie

I'm currently using Outlook with IMAP email via bluehost.com (my own domain). What is the best/least expensive solution for me if I want email pushed to my iPhone, but still have it sync with my Outlook inbox, subfolders and sent mail? If I use Mail2Web's push email, it simply forwards all mails sent to my account to the mail2web account, pushing it to my phone... so it doesn't actually sync. I want a solution that will allow me to view on my phone the same emails and folders I see in Outlook on my PC.

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

Only MobileMe accounts can push to the iPhone.

3. Patrick G. thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't understand your response. Mail2Web is an example of a site that offers push email to the iPhone.

4. cthielen macrumors member

It is true that only MobileMe accounts support pushing, you can see this in the vocabulary used in the iPhone Settings program. IMAP and POP mail accounts work fine, but work using "fetch", and you can set the fetch rate in your iPhone's Settings program.

It's important to understand the difference here: fetch means your iPhone goes out to the network to check for new messages, which wastes battery as it does this automatically at certain intervals. Push, on the other hand, means your iPhone never goes out to the network, and instead waits for the server to contact the phone when something arrives. Push is better for battery life as your phone's battery-expensive network abilities are only used _exactly_ when there is new data for you and only then.

5. Patrick G. thread starter macrumors newbie

Then what does MobileMe do that Mail2Web cannot do?

6. xolan99 macrumors regular

7. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

8. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

It allows you to send emails from your regular email account's SMTP. If you get your Gmail, say, forwarded to Mail2Web, all your replies would be from mail2web and not gmail.

9. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Negative Ghost Rider, Yahoo pushes as well

10. psywzrd macrumors 68030

This is not necessarily true. Mail2Web offers a cheap option (somewhere around $5-$6/month I believe) where you can use whatever email address you want as your "reply" email address. For example, if you use their paid service (it's called personal exchange or something like that) and forward your gmail to your mail2web email address, mail2web will push your gmail to your iphone and when you reply to those emails it will come from your gmail address.

If you want to use mail2web's free push email option, you are correct that replies from your iphone will come from your mail2web email address.