What qualifies for an iPhone 3G swap/exchange?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by louis0nfire, Aug 4, 2008.

1. louis0nfire macrumors 6502

If my iPhone 3G is acting up and it's not software related that can be fixed, will they just give me a new one at the Apple store?

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

IF, and only IF, they determine it's a workmanship fault. So yes, most likely they will.

3. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

How long is it covered?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So the earpiece stops working or the mic doesn't work--something like that they will replace; however if the screen is cracked or the phone is dented, they will not replace.

5. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

6. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

7. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay cool. But the issue is that probably once a day, my touch screen just stops working. I can turn the screen on and off with the button on top, but when I go to slide my finger, nothing. If I wait 5 min. and try it then it works. How would I prove that to them, are they gonna sit there and keep trying until it does it?

8. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

They have hardware testing thingies from above that will check everything about the phone. If that happens, then I'm sure they will replace it. Make sure you give them a lot of detail how it happens and whatever else!

9. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

And if they don't see any issues, will they just send me away or will they take my word on it?

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't think they'll replace it on the spot if they can't see the issues you're dealing with.

11. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Yea, they have to see what's wrong with it to replace it. That's why it's always bad to do it through the mail, because if they don't see anything that's wrong with it when they get it, they ship it back and charge YOU for shipping!

D:

12. MM07 macrumors 6502a

13. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah i'm going to take it in, but i'm just wondering if they'll replace it or not.

If they can't see anything wrong, because it's only an intermittent problem, will they just replace it anyway? Do they actually fix phones or just automatically replace them?

14. aphexii macrumors 6502

They just replace them. Keep in mind, they don't replace them with a "new" phone specifically, its nearly always a refurb. On that note however, Apple is known to have the best refurbs around as they typically have less problems than even NIB ones.

15. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

There are already refurb 3G's?

16. Blown01NJ macrumors member

Im in the same boat. Im having some issues but I dont want a refurb when I just bought a new phone a month ago. I dont want something scratched up or blemished in any way.

17. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm still just unsure if they'll replace mine. My problems are intermittent and probably won't occuwhen are looking at the phone for them. I don't know how strict they are.

18. JWages macrumors regular

You wouldnt even know its a refurbished one. it'll look and perform better than new.

19. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

How strict are they with replacements? If I say it only happens 'here and there/once a day' are they gonna accept that? Because that's how often my issues occur, for now at least.

20. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Your solution is to keep a video camera handy and record an example, or examples, of the problem happening. Show the video to the genius, and you should get your replacement. :)

21. cpljwlusmc macrumors regular

The Apple refurbs aren't scratched or dented at all. They repair any and all cosmetic damage before the product is repackaged and sold. Any software issues are repaired, and faulty hardware is replaced. It's a brand new phone.

22. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

I bought the 3 year warranty

I bought the 3 year warranty

Hope i get my use out of it ... lol

23. gts197 macrumors regular

If you bring it in and they see the issue you are talking about they will replace it. They are very good with that....they just NEED to see it and not take your word for it.

This isn't iphone related but I bought a macbook a few months ago and had an issue with my wifi. It would not pick up networks at a certain range away from the router, but my old ibook and my 1g iphone were picking them up no problem. Of course when I get to the apple store the entire place is covered in wifi so it was picking up the networks with no issues. The guy at the genius bar was saying how he would keep the laptop for a few days and have someone check up on it and see if the wifi would drop out. I insisted that it was an issue with range and knew that if they kept it they would see nothing wrong with it. I was very pissed because this was my second macbook in 2 weeks, the first one had keyboard issues.

So after about an hour of trying to work this out I decided to take the laptop to another apple store close by and see if they would be anymore help, but before I left I figured let me fire up the laptop along side my iphone in my car and see if either one picks up a network. Of course my iphone saw the wifi from the apple store and the panera bread right across they way and the macbook did not. So I went back in and ended up dragging a mac genius to my car with one of their macbooks just to prove I wasn't making this up. Five minutes later I walked out with a replacement.

A little persistence goes a long way haha.:apple:

24. aphexii macrumors 6502

As others have noted, Apple Refurbs are pristine. I've yet to receive an Apple refurb that looked anything other than brand spanking new.

25. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

They will but you have to word your argument to the genius bar, if you say it stops responding and they can't replicate it then you have to say its a intermittent problem and they will exchange it out of good will sometimes.

I've got about 4-5 replacement handsets over 1 year probably.