What quality leather are we talking about here?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MattDell, Mar 10, 2011.

1. MattDell macrumors 6502

MattDell

I just read this here: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC945LL/A?fnode=MTc0MjU2Mjc&mco=MjEzNTM1OTM

Some color may rub off during use?? I don't excpect it to be high-quality for $70, but really?

In this case, is it better to get a lighter color, then?

2. seanessey macrumors newbie

Suede

I had my heart set on the blue leather smart cover until I saw the photo in the Macworld review. Looks like it marks up quite rapidly- I'm a little surprised that Apple made the material selection they did, but hey, I don't know the whole story.

I think I'm going to get the cream coloured smart cover, in the hopes that it'll hide wear better.

Hopefully there'll be premium leather smart covers on the market eventually.

I just want something that won't look like crap after a week's use.

3. MattDell thread starter macrumors 6502

MattDell

Yeah I don't know which way to go.

Either the blue will scuff and the color will rub off.
    Or the cream will get all dirty.

Black?

4. twotwo11 macrumors member

Wow. I did not see that. Thanks for the find. I was thinking about getting the red one, but now I don't know...:confused:

5. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

You only need it to last until the next iPad model comes out... ;)

6. seanessey macrumors newbie

I thought about the black too, but because it looks like its a porous leather material, I fear it'll be a filth magnet. The light ones should hopefully hide dust and wear reasonably well. If the material was different I'd choose one of the darker covers.

7. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

My big Q is if the back is scratch protective or not. If not, I would suggest that most people just skip the smart case altogether and just get a sleeve for it. I'm sure that in a few weeks time, there will be similar 3rd party cases out that function the same as well as cover the entire device.

8. seanessey macrumors newbie

I think the smart covers are here to stay, and I'm not sure that the form factor of the product is going to change much in the next couple iterations. I'd like to have a durable, attractive smart cover. Who knows, though; I haven't seen these in person yet.

I wonder if third parties like Vaja will be able to produce nicer covers, without raising the ire of Apple Legal?

9. nvcplus macrumors regular

Haha like the last official apple cover?

I am sure they will stick with the design of the smart cover in most of its form, but I won't be surprised in the slightest if it isn't compatible with iPad3.