What r the differences between the todays mac pro and the new mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by alam, Oct 2, 2008.

?

Should i wait for the new mac pro or not?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2008.
  1. yes

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. no

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. alam macrumors regular

alam

hello everyone
    i'm going to be joining the mac pro family in the few next days, first is it wrong to buy it now and why not?

1_ What r the differences between the todays Cpu's and the next mac pro Cpu's?
    2_ What r the differences between the todays Gpu's and the next mac pro Gpu's?
    3_ What r the differences between the todays Ram and the next mac pro Ram?
    4_ What r the differences between the today Prices and the next mac pro Prices?
    5_ What r the differences between the todays HDD and the next mac pro HDD?
    6_ What r the differences between the todays Optical Drive and the next mac pro Optical Drive?
    7_ Is there going to be a new design for the new mac pro Internal or External?
    8_ Is there going to be an hdmi port in the new mac pro? (It's Available in the new laptops now Sony Vaio)
    9_ and when is it going to be released the new mac pro?
    10_ If i choose one 2.8 processor will i be able to add new another one later so i can have two 2.8?
    11_ is there going to be a new mac at apple?

I know that i can find my answers if search in the internet or in the forums, but wouldn't it be easier if i get it all in 1 place :D
    thanks for your time :D

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

we dont really know what apple has in store for the next macpro

3. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

hi alam

I am not sure you can answer any of these questions with any degree of confidence.

Admittedly people will have better ideas, than me at least, of intel's roadmap but with regard to absolute vs stats you would have to wait for an announcement

As a friendly word I would say that the layout of your 'list' seems quite imposing and long!

I dont think people what to be told that the only reason youre asking here is to have it in one place. Ppl genuinely do like the debate created surrounding supporting people's decisions rather than just a Q&A.

Thi isn't a flame but given how hotly this is debated and the low responses (yet?) I thought it might be worth highlighting this.

Good luck in your mac pro purchase. I think the reality is today's machines are so powerful for 95% of people that updates only affect those 5% of power users. However, a change in case design or major architecture is obviously something that 100% of people would be interesed in

d:apple:

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Number 0: Could you possibly put them all in the same sentence?! My STARS, we don't need thirty sentences with one word changed!

1. 40% computational speed difference with Leopard, 50-60% with Snow Leopard.
    2. 3850, 9900GT, best Quadro in existence at release date.
    3. Faster, more bays, not FB-DIMMs, nothing, really.
    4. Same or higher.
    5. NOTHING.
    6. Absolutely nothing. They won't have Blu-ray.
    7. No. There is no need. It's not supposed to look "cool" or "fresh".
    8. Nope; there's no need. I've seen those laptops. There's no sense in HDMI without Blu-ray when dual-link DVI or DisplayPort will do the same.
    9. The Tuesday before MacWorld 2009 in January. They're not using Beckton.
    10. YES. SEARCH.
    11. A new Mac? The only thing they could add is the fabled MacTablet. There won't be an xMac while Steve is alive.

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The likely candidate for the Mac Pro is the 2.66GHz Nehalem quad core Xeon. So the same amount of cores, but faster than the current 3.2GHz Mac Pro.
    Faster. We are likely to see ATI's 4000 series cards in the next Mac Pro, whether they are offered at purchase or from 3rd party sources.
    The next Mac Pro will use ECC DDR3 1333MHz memory which will have lower latency and with QPI replacing the front side bus there will be alot more memory bandwidth available. There may also be access to larger DIMMs (8GB & 16GB) and prices may come down lower than the current FB-DIMMs.
    Initial reports suggest that the processors are more expensive, so we may see a price of $3,000 for an 8 core Mac Pro. Apple may keep it at $2,800 in order to avoid the $3,000 price point but I wouldn't count on it. Memory prices will probably be the same as the current ones for some time.
    Apple will either ship it with a 320GB or 500GB drive with similar properties to the current ones.
    Nothing. They may offer blu-ray drives, but you can get them already and Apple's will be a lot more expensive.
    They will surely make internal adjustments as the chipset is changing and they will want to tweak things that have shown up over a year's use. I wouldn't expect any dramatic external changes, likely just port movements if anything.
    I doubt it.
    Q1 2009 seems likely. It may be as early as mid January around the same time as Macworld (they came out a week before last time), but Intel don't appear to be in any rush to get the Xeon's out.
    Yes. At current prices however it will cost you $500 more than if you had got it when you bought the system. The processor is around $800 and the heatsink is another $100. It would probably cost around the same to sell your system when you need more power and buy a used or refurb of the Mac Pro available at the time giving you much better performance.
    If you mean a Mac that is similar to the standard computer desktop then no probably not.

6. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

thank you very much, there some disappointments about the prices, but i didn't understand why is the new 2.66 faster than the 3.2 and they are the same cores?

i'm not in real rush, so what do you recommend me to wait for q1 2009 or buy it now?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you don't need it for work, absolutely, positively wait. Once Snow Leopard comes out in July, the Nehalem/Snow Leopard combo will be spectacular.

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Same amount of cores. 4 per processor. Nehalem 2.66GHz processors have been shown to be 20-40% faster depending on the task than a 2.66GHz penryn (current) processor. Which makes them faster than the current 3.2GHz models.

9. m1stake macrumors 68000

The 50%-60% increase with Snow Leopard is fairly baseless and totally generalized. While I would have to agree that Core i7 and Snow Leopard will benefit from each other a great deal, making up numbers is a bad idea.

10. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

by waiting means 1-2 months not a half year :confused:
    i've heard that on August 15 there is a new mac coming or the mac pro is going to be upgraded, is it true or not??

and i've heard that the new rams speed are 1033, is it compatible with the today mac pro or it's going to be compatible with the new mac pro only?
    and also the snow leopard is it going to be compatible with the todays mac pro?

11. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

not compatable - Nehalem uses DDR3 - :)

and I doubt youll see a new Mac Pro until Nehalem (which is not a problem as the current Mac Pro's arent exactly in need of a performance boost)

12. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Try January-March for a Mac Pro. It could be six months from now before people start getting them. The new memory will be 1333MHz DDR3 dimms, they are not compatible with current Mac Pros. Snow Leopard will be.

13. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

well i was wondering if the GPU ati 4 series is going to be compatible with todays mac pro? :rolleyes:

14. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Yes it should be compatible with all Mac Pros.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Assuming they come out for OS X. They work in Windows as of now, but not OS X.

16. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

so if i get it now and buy the ati 4 series, it will work on windows but not macintosh but when the new mac pro will be available it will be compatible with the older mac pro and the new one, this way i should wait and have the ati card with the new mac pro instead of putting more money on the mac pro right?

i just want to know what is the approximately price if i build this mac pro:-

1_ one 2.66ghz nehalem
    2_ 4 gb ram 1333
    3_ Ati 3850 or 4750 or nvidia 9900GT
    4_ don't need that stupid blue ray drive, i mean optical drivers are going to expire one day because of the itunes hd option :cool: double layer is enough for me :p
    5_ 500gb hdd

thats all what i want from the mac pro, i know that there is already 2.66 old mac pro is available but it not compatible work with the new ram 1333 and i guess that nehalem is faster, any way are my details above price is going to be between 2000$-2200$ or it's going to be more expensive?

17. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

DDR3 is gonna be X-PEN-SIEVE

18. kabunaru Guest

So, a 3.0GHz-3.2GHz Nehalem processor would be like 3.8GHz-4.0GHz processor of today?

19. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

No. It will work in windows, however you will need to flash a generic PC 4000 series card with the correct firmware. If you want to buy a Mac Pro now then it's best to wait for official 4 series cards if you aren't comfortable with doing this.

You might be looking as low as $2,400 or as much as $3000.

Yeah seems like it.

20. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

If you don't need it now, WAIT. If the price of the new ones are out of your price range, the older ones should drop more in price from today's prices. I'm hoping the new ones are not more than 3 grand. Saving for it now.

21. m1stake macrumors 68000

I'll be picking up 4GB-8GB of name brand memory for a new build for about $45/GB (2 kits of 2x2GB). While it's nowhere near as cheap as DDR2, it's not bad at all.

Selling my old stuff in preparation for a new Vista64 build is fun. :D

22. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

ok then you made more comfortable now with the new mac pro :), but does anyone knows when is the exact date release of the new mac pro??

thanks guys your doing me a big favor :D

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

HA HA HA HA HA!

The Tuesday before MacWorld 2009 is our best bet. We know nothing.

24. nanofrog macrumors G4

The announcement is likely Jan '09 when MacWorld '09 occurs.
    As Intel has delayed delivery, Jan. - Mar. would be an approximate time frame when they would ship.

25. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

crap :eek:
    it's far from now :(
    i guess i need to get the todays mac pro and tell to the next mac pro kiss mu a$$ goodbye :mad:
    tnx guys, now i know what to do :D