Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
I'm converting from the umb 2.0 and i know that it was a bit finicky with ram selection (some said it preferred Crucial) I was wondering what everyone was using? Have you encountered any problems?

I was leaning towards the 2x2 Kingston from Newegg.

Matt Phoenix

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2006
How difficult is it to install RAM on the new MBP? I was able to do it with no trouble on the 14" iBook. Does anyone know how it compares to that?

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Many are having success with Crucial so I'd say go with that if you're planning on upgrading. As for installation, on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the hardest, it would be a 2. It's time consuming because of the screws and removal of the bottom plate.

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
I've been debating about just getting the ram put in while ordering. After taxes and shipping i would probably spend over $70 for 4 gb of crucial. I can get 4 gb form Apple that is covered under Applecare for $90 that i won't have to install. But I'm getting a 500gb HDD so I'm going to have it cracked open anyway...

decisions decisions.

LAS.mac

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Mexico
I've been debating about just getting the ram put in while ordering. After taxes and shipping i would probably spend over $70 for 4 gb of crucial. I can get 4 gb form Apple that is covered under Applecare for $90 that i won't have to install. But I'm getting a 500gb HDD so I'm going to have it cracked open anyway...

decisions decisions.

Which ram is Apple actually putting inside? I mean, does anybody knows if it is the same/slower/faster than Crucial, for instance?
I have Crucial in my imac, it idd work flawlessly since day one. I think I paid, back in...september 2008, something like 100 USD for 4 Gb.

klamathvx

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
Philly
I've actually found that the relatively cheap ($5-6) precision screwdriver sets they sell at Lowe's and Home Depot under their Kobalt and Husky house brands work very well on these machines. I know they may not be the highest quality tools, but they have yet to fail in opening any Mac I've come across.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.