What ram 13" mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrislaw, Jun 18, 2009.

1. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

I'm converting from the umb 2.0 and i know that it was a bit finicky with ram selection (some said it preferred Crucial) I was wondering what everyone was using? Have you encountered any problems?

I was leaning towards the 2x2 Kingston from Newegg.

2. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

3. Matt Phoenix macrumors regular

How difficult is it to install RAM on the new MBP? I was able to do it with no trouble on the 14" iBook. Does anyone know how it compares to that?

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Many are having success with Crucial so I'd say go with that if you're planning on upgrading. As for installation, on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the hardest, it would be a 2. It's time consuming because of the screws and removal of the bottom plate.

5. chrislaw thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

I've been debating about just getting the ram put in while ordering. After taxes and shipping i would probably spend over $70 for 4 gb of crucial. I can get 4 gb form Apple that is covered under Applecare for $90 that i won't have to install. But I'm getting a 500gb HDD so I'm going to have it cracked open anyway...

decisions decisions.

6. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

Which ram is Apple actually putting inside? I mean, does anybody knows if it is the same/slower/faster than Crucial, for instance?
    I have Crucial in my imac, it idd work flawlessly since day one. I think I paid, back in...september 2008, something like 100 USD for 4 Gb.

7. chrislaw thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

i don't know. I assume its the same kind as the 2gb that came shipped in my umb 2.0 and it works great.

8. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

yah the right tool makes all the difference. i can get all 10 screws out in a few minutes.

9. klamathvx macrumors newbie

I've actually found that the relatively cheap ($5-6) precision screwdriver sets they sell at Lowe's and Home Depot under their Kobalt and Husky house brands work very well on these machines. I know they may not be the highest quality tools, but they have yet to fail in opening any Mac I've come across.