What RAM to buy for 2012 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by akadmon, Jun 9, 2012.

1. akadmon macrumors 68010

I'm want to have my new Mac Pro roaring almost out of the box when I bring it home on Friday (the first day it's available for pickup in Apple Stores, is my guess). The plan is to buy RAM ahead of time (can't stand the thought of having to suffer with 3GB of RAM even for one day, let alone the whole weekend (I'm not paying the Apple RAM tax, no way!). Any idea if the current chips will be compatible with the new MP, or will the 2012 MP use some new kind of chips that may not be available from 3rd party sellers for a few weeks or even months?

2. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

Its hard to say. I'm guess 1600MhZ Myself, but I'd wait. I don't see how your RAM would ship any slower if you ordered both the same day.

3. dbit macrumors regular

I don't know enough about memory to give specifics, but expect DDR3 1600Mhz ECC Ram. It's nothing super secret. Mac has no inside track on new memory format development. This is not a lock however. You will have to wait for the announcement before purchasing anything. The ram will be available from vendors and there will be dozen of new threads pouring over details like this.

4. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

Good point. I guess Ill just have to wait till Monday. BTW, I love that Apple has made it possible to have stuff shipped to a store. I live in MA, half an hour from an Apple Store in tax free NH. With $300+ tax savings, I don't mind making the trip - woohoo! :)

5. MacSince1990 macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

3 GB of RAM...? Given they all ship with 4 GB + that seems unlikely....

Also, :rolleyes: at your whole post.

And yes, they'll be DDR3-1600. Assuming the Mac Pro isn't killed off.

6. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

Um, no they don't. The 4 and 6 core MPs ship with 3GB. I'll most likely be getting a 6 core (or its 2012 equivalent).

7. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

I'm personally hoping apple gets with the times and has more standard ram than a $1000 Macbook pro

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Apple will likely continue to ship with 1GB per DIMM slot as this is the minimum that they can ship a fully working system with. There is no benefit to Apple in having more memory than that. Costs them more and doesn't increase system sales.

9. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Really? Then :rolleyes: at your post too. Sheesh!

10. MacSince1990 macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

Sorry, I should have been clearer; I meant current models (i.e. MBPs etc) that have been updated in the past two years have 4 GB of RAM. Bad wording on my part.

11. JaHull macrumors member

Also the fact that the new Mac Pro will have Quad Channel Memory so the single processor model should have 4 memory slots filled rather than 3 which the 2010 Mac Pro has, since it has Tri Channel Memory.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if they actually decided to put 4x2GB RAM in the single processor model. But then again that doesn't matter to most people since they will want more than 8GB of RAM and replace it with 4GB or 8GB sticks.

12. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

If they announce it Monday and you order RAM online that night it might be there Friday depending on shipping options. I hope you get your wish! :apple:

13. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

If you pay and then ship it, then seems likely have to pay MA taxes. Apple has a presence in MA with retail stores. That's typically what triggers the sales tax ( credit card billing address is in MA and company has store in MA ) then effectively the Mac was sold in MA. If just reserve a Mac Pro in NH and then go pay in NH that's a different story.

14. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

The info on apple.com states that taxes are linked to the shipping address only. Anyway, there is always the option of paying via a certified check or a wire transfer.I can simply drive to a branch of Bank of America in NH and do it from there.

15. Jst0rm macrumors regular

Technically you are supposed to still pay this tax. I wouldn't admit proudly to doing something like this ;)

16. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

Millions on welfare need your money!

17. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Ship to a no tax state = no tax. Example, gift.

18. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

That's it! My daughter lives in NH, so if they ever ask, I will tell the MA tax police that this was a gift to her. More power to the upper classes! ;)

19. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

did i miss something?? did they announce a new MP?

20. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

:rolleyes:

Survey (of the New Mac Pro spec sheet) says: 1333Mhz