what ram to buy for new MBP (noob question)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tman08, Feb 27, 2008.

1. tman08 macrumors member

I just bought a new MBP and want to upgrade from 2gb to 4gb of ram. I don't know much about what to buy. Can someone please tell me what kind of ram is okay to use in MBPs. I don't understand this 2gb X 2 matched or + 1 gb matched lingo. I'm planning to run over to best buy or compusa today to pick it up. Thanks.:confused:

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

First of all, don't buy from Best Buy or CompUSA. Those are going to charge you waaaay too much for the RAM. Go for an online retailer like NewEgg or OWC. And if you're upgrading to 4GB of RAM, buy 2 x 2GB of the exact same model, that's what's meant by matched sets. There will be a better performace from matched RAM.

3. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

do yourself a favor and check out http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/Pro/DDR2/

4. ~J~ macrumors 6502

I bought 4GB from Newegg.com for $98. Its Kingston & Im very pleased with its performance. Just make sure you get the right spec RAM (look in System Profiler for the exact specs).

You'll need to get 200 pin - & then match the type & speed you see in the profiler for your current RAM. Should look something like this for your new RAM:

2GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz

Matched pairs just means you bought 4GB in 2x2GB sticks. Same make & model for both sticks. It does increase performance, so I would recommend you do that. Hope that info helps!

5. tman08 thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks for the info. So I'm actually needing to buy 4gb and then replacing the 2gb I already have in my MBP?

6. ~J~ macrumors 6502

Yup. You're system currently has 2 1GB sticks, you are gonna replace them with 2 2GB sticks.

7. tman08 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. I tried to read up on that stuff but it makes much more sense when people explain it to you. I wanted to go buy it in stores because I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow and would like to have the upgraded ram for it (im very impatient). But if its such a large cost difference i'll stick to newegg. One last question, is there anything I need to do after installing the ram to get the computer to recognize it or anything?

8. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Correct. You need to buy 4gb, which will come as a pair of 2gb sticks. Here's a link to one option, but there are tons of choices out there. Agreed on not buying at Best Buy or CompUSA though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134605

9. lauph macrumors regular

Hey, just to add in one more question to make things clearer.

Most 667MHz rams are CL5, and theres this Gskill one thats 4-4-4-12.
    question is: does the MBP suport 4-4-4-12 at all?
    If i buy that low latency Gskill ram and put it into the MBP, in what mode will it run at?

10. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

get Mushkin, i personally like them, they're not that expensive and their quality is as good as corsair's

11. tman08 thread starter macrumors member

12. AndyFL macrumors regular

Order now at Newegg or OWC, upgrade to Priority Overnight shipping and I bet you'll still come out ahead of buying at your local BestBuy or CC. :)

13. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

As long as it's a well known brand that won't fail it doesn't really matter does it? I mean they'll all preform the same, right?

14. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju