Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
When I spoke to Apple and Crucial Customer Service, it appears that the 2019 iMac Model (27" 3.0ghz [cheapest model]) can only be updated to 32GB of ram.

Apple wants to reduce the number of SKU's they need to stock. There's not much point to offering a very unbalanced machine - one with tons of RAM but the slowest CPU and GPU. Don't you think someone who spends hundreds/thousands on RAM would also pony up to get a better CPU/GPU?

Also, is there any issue with dual channel if theres 2x4GB and 2x16GB ram? I am not familiar with this concept...sorry

That combination could give you a 4GB module in each channel, and a 16GB in each channel. The channels then would be balanced. Just don't mix them up and place both 4GB in the same channel - then the channels are lopsided. The easiest way to keep from making a mistake is to leave the Apple DIMMs alone.

liltennyo

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2019

Apple wants to reduce the number of SKU's they need to stock. There's not much point to offering a very unbalanced machine - one with tons of RAM but the slowest CPU and GPU. Don't you think someone who spends hundreds/thousands on RAM would also pony up to get a better CPU/GPU?

That combination could give you a 4GB module in each channel, and a 16GB in each channel. The channels then would be balanced. Just don't mix them up and place both 4GB in the same channel - then the channels are lopsided. The easiest way to keep from making a mistake is to leave the Apple DIMMs alone.

Thanks for your reply - I am actually considering to just make the jump and get the 9th gen processor (the expected arrival is late April). I plan to probably do some photo / video editing (hobby). Asides from that, it will mainly be used for basic computing stuff. I know that 40 GB is probably overkill

iltwtv

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2010
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071H38422/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put 2 of these in my i9 iMac yesterday for a total of 64 GB. Working fine.

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 12.54.20 PM.png

Jamers99

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
Lutz, FL
Those are CL18 RAMs whereas Apple specifies CL19 if I am not mistaken...

I could see where you might not want to mix modules with mismatched CAS Latency (CL) but where does Apple indicate the CL must only be CL19? Not sure what the CL is on the stock 8GB but if you replace the stock memory entirely then I would think it would be fine. Supplementing the stock RAM is another story.

rugby4all

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2019
I could see where you might not want to mix modules with mismatched CAS Latency (CL) but where does Apple indicate the CL must only be CL19? Not sure what the CL is on the stock 8GB but if you replace the stock memory entirely then I would think it would be fine. Supplementing the stock RAM is another story.
Fully agree if you are not mixing modules...

Jamers99

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
Lutz, FL
As an aside I already replaced my stock memory in my 2018 Mac Mini with Corsair Vengeance CL18. I verified that the stock Micron brand was CL18. The new CL19 memory has been running perfectly fine for a month now.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan

Apple does not specify a CAS Latency for user-added RAM. I believe the stock RAM that ships with the 2019 iMac may be CL19 from reports in this thread but that doesn't mean it will only work with the same.

I added faster CL RAM to my 2017 iMac in addition to the stock RAM and it has all worked perfectly ever since, running all of the modules at the CAS Latency of the slower Apple RAM.

Last edited:

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1333839-REG/crucial_ct2k16g4sfd8266_32gb_kit_16gbx2_ddr4.html
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/2666DDR4S32P/
Is there a difference between the two? The one at B&H is cheaper. They look the same, but maybe i am wrong?

Colour is different. Chip layout too. Probably from a different manufacturing plant. Service may be different (I have always preferred OWC). The OWC is cheaper in Australia right now (OWC from macfixit and Crucial from RamCity), but both products seem to be on back order. But will they both work equally well - yes, probably, but get a guarantee from your supplier.

Reactions: Kurri

patearrings

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
Have any of you guys buying this crucial ram (which i also believe is the correct ram) benchmarked your ram speed before and after putting it in using geekbench?

You can see the ram throughput there and if something is even slightly amiss, it can drop your ram speeds by half, especially having it in the wrong sockets.

Last edited:

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
These of you that opted going with the crucial ram, what’s the main reason for going with the crucial ram as opposed to OWC Ram? The OWC is a bit more pricey but I’m wondering what the reason is.

howard_s

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2019
Oxford, UK
I'm currently seeing the Crucial CT2K16G4SFD8266 2x16GB RAM listed at £167.99 on amazon.co.uk; a similar 2x16GB kit from OWC on amazon is priced at £329. On Macupgrades.co.uk the UK price for 2x16GB OWC RAM is £224. The price difference approaches £56/$75. So, if Crucial is as reliable as OWC, why pay more?

Melleken

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2019
Ghent, Belgium
Received our iMac 2019 i9 vega48 today and place the 4x Kingston HyperX Impact 16GB DDR4 2666MHz module.
Works perfect > and with this memory the geekbench score went from 6100/30000 to 6400/33000.

edit: may be one more thing: i found a rather strange use of the slots for the standard 2x4GB modules from apple, they were in slot 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 depending from were you start counting.
i was expecting that 1and2 or 3and3 would be occupied...

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I just upgraded the RAM in my 27 Inch 2019 iMac, There was one thing that confused me when i opened the back cover and that was the positioning of the 2 PRE-Existing Ram Sticks that were in the iMac (the 2x 4GB Sticks from Apple). They were not installed one next to another, Is that how it was supposed to be? i just added the 2 x 8GB sticks into the empty slots in the tray, i know that RAM should be installed in Pairs so id like to know if i installed the Ram correctly or if i need to open it and install the same branded Ram Sticks one next to another in Pairs

Heres a screenshot from the System info,

Did i install the ram correctly or do i need to remove the cover again and remove all 4 sticks and install them in Pairs?

Attachments

• IMG_2884.JPG
    IMG_2884.JPG
    451.2 KB · Views: 500
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 9.16.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 9.16.54 PM.png
    160.9 KB · Views: 512

patearrings

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
Is there anyone with a new 2019 imac that would be able to run crucials ram checker tool on their mac please, just to see what it lists as at crucial and if the tool matches a specific ram to the mac, as crucial still say they dont have any compatible ram.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.