What realistically is the 'walk-in' date for a new OS?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DaWooster, Aug 23, 2009.

1. DaWooster macrumors member

I'm fully aware that the rumored Snow Leopard release date is August 28th. However, I'm not interested in waiting in line for 4 hours before the shop opens to only learn that they're out of stock and the next shipment won't be in for another week or so.

Judging by past release dates, (Leopard, Tiger, Panther etc...), when is a good period of time after the release date, that I can just walk into my local retailer and pick up a box?

2. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I wouldn't bother with that, myself. I'd go to Amazon or Apple and pre-order. Should arrive with a few days of release, and you won't have to deal with the slobbering mobs.

I don't think SL will cause the lines that the iPhone releases did, however.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Resellers get new products later, within 3 weeks usually (at least here in Finland). I'll be buying it from Apple Online Store because it's the easiest and fastest

4. DaWooster thread starter macrumors member

Very true. But, with all prices being equal, I'd like to support my local retailer. (Granted however, there's a difference between paying $18 for a CD at Borders and $9 for the same CD on iTunes) Plus, it gives me an excuse to check out the Mall while I'm out.

5. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Well, there ya go. You're not going to see the sights on apple.com that you would by prowling the mall.

From what our Suomi friend HellHammer up there said, you'll be waiting a few weeks until the resellers have it.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's not true.

Resellers have release day 'parties' too, even for OSes. On the day of release of Tiger, my local retailer, a non-Apple Store store, changed their opening times and provided drinks (non-alcoholic) to everyone in order to get them to stay, buy Tiger/Leopard, and try it out on their display model computers before installing it on their own.

And like hellhammer, I don't live in the US either, so that can't be the reason for the variability. Perhaps a different reseller in Finland would get stock quicker than his.

7. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Might matter where one lives. We have no Apple store within 2 hours, and resellers have been come-and-go. Best Buy is here now, but they weren't when Leopard arrived. We had one small authorized shop, and he got his shipment of Leopard at least a week later.

Nowadays, BB is all we have. So I either drive 2+ hours or wait for FedEx...

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well hellhammer said resellers get new products later.

All I'm saying is that this isn't the case, or not always. If you have a decent reseller near you, it won't be the case. If you don't, then you'll have to wait awhile.

9. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I don't. But, FedEx delivers, even out here in the swamps, so I no longer have to care.

10. DaWooster thread starter macrumors member

Actually, my local mall has an Apple Store inside, so I don't think it'll be 'weeks' before they first get it in stock. On the other hand, I've yet to walk into that shop and not have it crowded to the point where the Fire Marshal wouldn't squirm.

But I thank you all for your input thus far.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple Stores get them on day when they come out (or one day later). Snow Leopard differs from other updates though, resellers know that there will be an update soon so they can order them from Apple. Usually, resellers get information about an update at the same time as us.