All iPads What really useful stuff can you do on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sheza, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

Hi there,

I read a lot of PDFs and article and journals and such as part of my Law degree. Sometimes I'll need to have 3 or more windows open at a time (assignment sheet, the PDF and a Pages window to type answer in) and even with my MacBook hooked up to a big screen this constant back-and-forth switching is a massive pain. Buying a stand and using the MacBook side-by-side with my screen is an option, but sometimes I'd like to be able to sit in a more comfortable position and just read & highlight the cases and journal.

So, an iPad would be perfect, right? But there's no way I can justify the price for a glorified PDF reader.

When my school lent us iPads last year, I found them useful but only really as internet browsers and PDF annotators. I tried my best to find good apps in the store but no luck, I just didn't use them or find them useful.

So I thought I would ask you guys - what's a really useful thing you can do on your iPad that you do often? Especially if you already have a MacBook and iPhone (So no note taking apps please!)

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I liked Splashtop, which remotely connected to my mac/pc. So anything at all that I needed from my computer was at my fingertips.

I bought a Slingbox to watch live tv on my iPad anywhere I go.

Overall, not much better than an iPhone, just a bigger screen and improved apps. Honestly the iPad does have potential, it can actually replace a laptop depending on your needs. Sadly for me, it does not :[

3. Chatter macrumors 6502a

I understand the iPad "limitations" especially when you have a mac. Not having multiple windows open is a drawback. Here is what I use my iPad for.

- Note taking, annotation, giving audio and written feedback.
    - As a remote for presentations, group sharing presentations etc.
    - Creating presentations and/or docs.
    - Creating tutorials using apps like Educreations.
    - Voice recorder & video screen in meetings.
    - Lotsa games! :D

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I've used my iPad to give KeyNote presentations. Sometimes podiums are pretty tight on space, and an ipad with a VGA or HDMI connector is a lot easer to work on there than even my MacBook Air. If there's an Apple TV avaiable, even better.

When i'm out somewhere, I usually take my iPad with me and workks as a good SSH terminal to log back into servers at the office, when there's a problem.

I also have RemoterVNC which is use to remotely log into Macs and Windows PCs.

Note taking at meetings. A tablet laying nearly flat on a table is a lot less intrusive than a laptop. Even with a bluetooth keyboard (which I use a lot).

My favorite TV shows and movies and stored on there. Also great for reviewing phtographs I took with either my dSLR or iPhone.

I'm using my ipad right now to write this post. :)

And of course, e-mail.

I use my iPhone 6+ for a lot of these things too, but in situations where I really can't take much of anything else with me including the iPad.

Basically, I always try to default to the biggest avaialble device (iMac, MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone) depending on the situation and the place.

Realistically, not all of these things are necessary. If I really had to, I could make do with just a laptop and a phone. But the imac and iPad are very nice to have.

5. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

how does slingbox work if you already have DVRs through your provider ?? sorry for the OT

6. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Honestly I can't answer that, I still live in the dark ages with pre-DVR cable. I believe the cables would go from the DVR to the sling box, then from the sling box to the tv. Im sorry this wasn't too helpful :[

7. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

You get rid of the provider DVR, buy a new tivo (six tuners) and save money. The new ones have streaming built in. On or off of your network.

8. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

hmm ok .. i was on their website and it said it works with verizon fios dvrs .. i can watch live tv through the verizon app without being on wifi but the only thing i can't do is watched stuff recorded on the dvrs

9. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

Hi, I use mine for;

All Email and email folders
    Creating Presentations
    Creating Spreadsheets
    Creating email adverts via Pages
    Typing official letters
    Taking complex notes
    Business meetings via face time
    Filing and managing work via, Dropbox, Google Drive
    Showing product demos via videos
    Scanning pay slips and instruction booklets via Scanner Pro
    Designing email flyer and adverts via iPhoto, PixleMator and photos
    Invoicing via invoices to Go
    As navigation tool when seeing clients
    Filing and managing brochures and wall charts via iBooks
    Storing and sending multiple attachements I.e Technical and Material Safety Data Sheets
    Keeping up with current affairs
    Assisting my MD via Team Viewer

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If the price is an issue, just get one refurbished or secondhand. For PDFs, an iPad 2 wouldn't be so bad.

Or you can just not buy one. nothing worse than spending money on something that is obviously going to go to waste. Don't let people tell you what you should be doing with an iPad, just let it go.