What repairs have you had with your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marc55, Nov 1, 2013.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I currently have a 2010 Dell Studio XPS, and over the past three years I have had the following replaced under warranty: 3 keyboards, 1 Palm Rest, and 2 Mother Boards; needless to say I'm a little tired of repairs.

I'm very impressed with the quality of Apple products overall, and am wondering if the quality of the newer MBP's is on par with some of the older one.

So, what repairs you have had to your MBP's over the past few years.

2. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Coming from a 2009 13" MacBook Pro 2.53 with 8GB of ram and two SSD's, zero issues, best laptop I ever had. I think the Unibody single cast design is the best in the business, zero flex which I believe helps keep things like motherboards happy.

Buy with confidence, enjoy Apple's great support and get on with life..;)

3. LoMonkey macrumors regular

I have an early 2008 15" MBP (pre-unibody) and the only repair I've had done was replacing the faulty Nvidia GPU. It was done about a year and a half ago under Apple's recall extended warranty program. Completely free. This is the reason I will be buying a new 15" rMBP in the very near future. I'm due for an upgrade and Macs are the best, bar none. :D

4. MichaelBarry macrumors member

Get a sony laptop. Those are good quality but expensive.

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

My 2009 13" MacBook Pro 2.26ghz was awesome until just over 2 years ago. What started off as a sleep issue where it often wouldn't respond when I tried to wake it turned into constant SATA cable and hard drive issues. I've had the hard drive replaced twice and the cable several times. With how often this happens I suspect there is now an issue on the logic board, but Apple Geniuses have never confirmed.

Honestly for a laptop that has been carried back and forth across a college campus for four years, it's done reasonably well. I hope my new MacBook Pro retina lasts just as long if not longer with fewer internal moving parts. My only worry is that I can't replace the battery or RAM.

6. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

2008 MacBook Pro Santa Rosa 2.6ghz has had the following repairs:

1x entire unit replacement

Additional:

- LCD replaced ([2x] warranty)
    - Logicboard replaced (warranty)
    - RAM replaced (custom)
    - HDD replaced (custom)
    - Battery replaced (warranty)
    - Charger replaced (warranty)

So... The Reliant (which is now an oxymoron) is falling apart at the screws (literally), is running slow, is really hampered by a maximum of 4GB of RAM, and can hold about 15 minutes of charge on the battery before completely dying (won't even shut down, just dies).

I have decided it is time for retirement from the fleet, and she will soon be replaced by the high end MacBook Pro Retina 2.3ghz. :)

7. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

Mine:
    2010 15" MBP (2.66/8GB/256GB/330M) had no problems until a few weeks ago. It was the known nVidia chipset problem. my macbook was a bit over 3 years old but apple replaced the logicboard for free

My girlfriends:
    2011 15" MBP
    1 display (hinge was broken) ...warranty
    1 HDD...warranty
    1 logicboard (graphiccard ...warranty

when she had another problem 3 weeks ago Apple replaced it for a new (late 2013) rMBP :)

btw: get applecare!

8. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

lolol..

After having my Powerbook G4 broken by a Genius i had it replaced with a late mid 2012 MBP.

On that Laptop i had -

Logic Board x2
    SuperDrive
    Wifi/Thermals

Then went in for a third logic board and had it replaced. With this one i have now which is a final Generation 15'' Non Retina.

Not impressed to say the least. Trying to sell this one currently to go back to a Dell, Probably an XPS 12 or 13.

9. TS13 macrumors member

on my old macbook 4,1 from early 08 the only repairs I had were the cracked palm rests 2 times (maybe 3) and that was because it was a design flaw

other than that I replaced the battery once because it died after not using the laptop for 4 weeks..

still running on the original hard drive and everything is perfect! sluggish, but perfect

10. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Girlfriends Nvidia 8600 chip failed and was fixed 3 times in a row on her pre-unibody MBP. She finally was given a new unibody replacemt.

24" ACD loose wire repaired.

2011 15" MBP logic board replaced due to faulty AMD chip.