Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewMRiv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I know that many with 16gb models are still waiting for theirs to ship, but for those that have theirs already, what is your resolution of choice?

At the Apple Store, I noticed that the default best resolution was a bit smaller than what I remembered having on my 13" White MacBook from mid 2010.

I changed the resolution and it was nice for me to see a bit more on the screen.

Just curious. What do you guys use and why?

durkkin

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
I've had it on 1680x1050 since I got it. I only every drop down to "Best for Retina" when it's late and my eyes are tired. Makes reading lots of code easier in exchange for reduced screen real estate.

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
I change mine depending on what I'm using. If I'm focusing on a single app or editing photos I use best for retina. If im working on a word document and want to have a web browser open I use at least 1680x1050

iPaintCode

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Metro Detroit
I've had it on 1680x1050 since I got it. I only every drop down to "Best for Retina" when it's late and my eyes are tired. Makes reading lots of code easier in exchange for reduced screen real estate.
Well said, I will probably jump on a BTO 13" rMBP when the shipping times get down, 3-4 weeks is annoying. I did really enjoy the late 2013 mid 13" rMBP (1499 model), but would really like to max it out for longevity, so I returned it.

vandoorn

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
Since coming from the Macbook Air i use the 1440x900. I like the screen real estate at this setting. I've had this setting since day one and never looked back.

Turbocharged

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2013
I use Best for Retina, and change to higher resolution only when I need more space to work on. larger font helps to keep a 50cm+ healthy distance from my eyes to the screen. and try turn off the font smoothing option on a retina display, you may like it better.

I always liked higher resolutions on my windows laptop, FHD at 100% on a 13'3 inch panel is the highest I've tried that works for me. beyond FHD is simply too much @100%, and I didn't like the scaling on windows, even on 8.1. now everything scales beautifully on a rMBP, i realize i don't need all the screen space all the time. best for retina is simply enough for a lot tasks, and since switching between full screen apps are so easy, i find myself using higher res even less frequently now. I do set it to 1680*1050 when I work with Lightroom and some other applications.

tigerintank

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
i use 1680x1050 always - absolutely no problems.

I did try it recently with 1920 x 1200 using the RDM app, but its just a little too small for my eyes. I can use it like that, but find i have to concentrate on focusing.

Decided that was probably going to lead to headaches/eye strain and that i would just appreciate the move from my old MacBooks 1280x800 to 1680x1050 and not try to push it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.