What retailers will have the Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by acctman, Mar 17, 2015.

1. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

Will the Apple Store and a select high end retailer, be the only sellers of Apple Watch on launch?

Don't know if I should pre-order or purchase at Apple Store in person. Then again Apple might have pre-order with in store pickup

2. refslady macrumors regular

My understanding is unless you are looking for an Edition, you will need to deal directly with Apple, either online or in store.

3. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

Only Apple Stores will be selling it. Some select Apple Store will have the Edition, I'm think meaning the stores located in the metropolitan area (NYC, Boston, SF, LA, Tokyo).

As to other retailers carrying Apple watches, it's all rumors and speculations as of this point. Rumors of standalone Apple store in Paris to sell the Apple Watch exists, but your best bet is to go to an Apple Store or order it online.

4. technosix macrumors 6502a

No one is better than Apple when it comes to hyping products and spinning a tale their devoted followers gush over. You may remember they created a clever dialog to lead the uneducated into believing it's in high demand and will be in many "select" ultra luxury boutiques, jewelry stores etc.

Once Apple went to those businesses and shops during Paris Fashion Week, they were roundly dismissed. That must have been quite a surprise and insult to the big egos at Apple. The consolation prize was provided by one semi luxury shop that did agree to carry Apple Watch.

5. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I don't see why Apple would not let Walmart and Costco get the base Apple Watch Sport while restricting the SS and Edition to Apple stores. They both have iPhones and Walmart has iPads. Both have iPods. I think the Sport could easily be sold in the same model as any iPod. That would also get them into many communities that do not rate an Apple store.

6. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

Like the first generation of any of the Apple products, it's unproven, retailers won't likely be carrying it. From a luxury product standpoint, they sell Rolex, Omegas, Tag, etc. Can Apple compete at that level? Apple has yet to prove that first. If they can, maybe after the second or third generations, they may open up a section of their store to accommodate it.

At the same time, first generation Apple products has been sold only at the Apple Store. As it gains more popularity, other retailers will start to carry them. First gen iPhone was basically Apple only, with limited AT&T retailers. There was no Best Buy, Radio Shack, or Walmart selling them.

Best Buy only in recent years have started to have a small section of their stores displaying Apple products.

7. acctman thread starter macrumors 6502a

acctman

thanks for all the info. i'll do an online pre-order with in-store pickup... if in-store pickup is not an option i'll just head to the Apple store and get on line early, doubt it'll be as bad as waiting for an iPhone

8. refslady macrumors regular

And on certain islands too!

9. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I'm sure other retailers will not have any for at least 6 months IF they get them. I currently have two choices picked out with my number 1 choice changing daily. If they both say delivers on the 24th when I order I will have a problem. If one ships before the other my choice is easy.

10. nfl46 macrumors 603

This.

11. rjlawrencejr macrumors 6502

Honestly, I don't recall Apple framing it quite that way, but as we both know, two people can see the same image and perceive it very differently.

As to your assertions regarding Apple's lack of success during Paris Fashion Week, I assume you're speaking of Spring which took place last September? What is your source for how Apple was received? Again, as we both know, the "semi luxury" store where Apple is apparently establishing a boutique is Galleries Lafayette which is an influential department store in the city. I have even seen it compared to Harrod's. Of course we don't really have anything like it here in the US, but the closest might be what Marshall Field's on State St or Macy's Herald Square back in their heyday.

12. technosix macrumors 6502a

I specifically read about two prominent fashion designers that said they weren't interested in the watch, at this most recent fashion week. The amount I read in just one day is vast, in this case I didn't grab the link as honestly I'm not bashing Apple, nor am I wishing for anything but wild success.

I continue after twenty four years as a shareholder to be heavily invested. Plus initially getting in at $20 per share I sold off thousands of shares before the split as it approached $700 so I made a very handsome profit, beyond what I ever imagined way back then.

Apple's such a giant at this point they can force feed the watch to the market and be successful. Even if sales are soft it won't make one bit of difference because Apple's cash cow iPhone just keeps delivering...:)

13. rjlawrencejr macrumors 6502