Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Everymac is a little bit confusing on the issue.

I'm inclined to think you have the same machine as me, a Rev B.

Rev A: Old top of the range, with ATI 9600 graphics card. PCI-X/8Gb.
Rev B: Same as before but with NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200. PCI-X/8Gb.
Rev C: ATI 9650, PCI/4Gb. April - To date.

I'm curious too.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
Do you like your machine? Does it handle things quickly and effieciently enough for you? I've used some dual 1.8 PM's w/1.5gb of ram on campus, and I liked those. So my dual 2 shouldn't be much different. Albeit with 512 ram for now. It will have 2.5gb soon enough. :D

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
joecool85 said:
Do you like your machine?
I went from an iMac G3 500Mhz to this beast. What an upgrade ay! I absolutely love it, its styling, design and power. It certainly does everything I want and need with ease, though I'm not that demanding a user really. I installed an extra 1Gb of RAM at the same time and installed it before even booting it with the stock 512mb. I think the extra RAM would make quite a difference. Also worth putting Tiger on if yours doesn't come with it.

The only thing I have noticed lag is when you load up quicktime movies in Safari. You can tell its really having to think because the fans rev up (just like revving an engine) and Safari will lock out for 3 or 4 seconds. It's annoying if you need to open 20 tabs in the background, with a different MPEG in each.

The revving is great fun. When you turn on the machine you get a nice blast from all fans :) The fans spinning up and down add some character to it I think. Not to mention the fact that it's absolutely huge and towers over my desk!

One thing worth mentioning is 'the chirp'. In certain conditions and certain amounts of CPU load, there is an audible regular beeping sound from the computer. This sometimes elevates to a sort of screeching or whaling sound under heavy load, especially with programs that use the graphics card. This noise is minimal if you set your processor to 'automatic' mode in the energy saving preference panel. You also get used to it and treat it just like HD read/write noises.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
*Bump*

Seriously, like no one knows?? :rolleyes: Come on now. At least lets get some guesses on here. Please?

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
Probably lol. I feel like the whole "How long does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop? ... The world may never know"

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
The best way to answer that question is, what kind of video card does it have?

I believe the rev a shipped with an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (not XT) with 128MB VRAM.

A rev b dual 2 GHz PM shipped with either an NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Ultra, or an ATI Radeon 9600XT.

The current ones ship with an ATI Radeon 9600XT, but only supports 4GB or RAM.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
Mine is the 64mb NVIDIA FX 5200...so that means rev b? Also, even though mine is listed as the same rev as the current ones (on everymac.com), just with a different mobo, does that mean that the current one is rev C?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
So it sounds like you have a rev b PowerMac G5 since you have an NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Ultra graphics card. This is the "middle model" of that rev. Yes, the latest rev, is a rev c PowerMac which scales up to dual 2.7 GHz.

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
Ok, this might help, the one you have is indeed a rev. B. And the current 2Ghz is a rev. C. However we are on the 5th update to the PM since the G5 introduction. But the 2Ghz have been unchanged during some of the updates and the most recent update really isn't even and update.... All it was was them dropping the single 1.8Ghz....

So, it is complicated and originally I thought you had a rev. E or F or something but I guess you were right all along.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
Thanks a bunch, it's good to know what you actually have. (Or in my case, am going to have, since it hasn't gotten here yet.)

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Oh boy you're in for a treat when it does arrive! :D

Might be worth doing some back exercises first though, get yourself strong enough to move the thing.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
Yeah, it says 58lbs ship weight. I'm not too worried though, at work I throw around 40lbs bags of dog food all the time (I work at PetCo.) Besides, I'm in pretty good shape right now, have to be...winter coming up in a couple months and with the sled I ride, you gotta be in shape, that thing is a tank. 1989 Skidoo Mach 1 583 liquid. 512lbs and 110hp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.