What route should I take?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DVNO, Jan 20, 2009.

1. DVNO macrumors newbie

Well I am in quite the dilemma. Just after thanksgiving my trusty iBook crashed :( . I currently am using a macbook on loan from my school as an experimental program they want to implement, and I really like it. I might buy a macbook off my friend for 600-700 dollars or I could buy a used mac mini. The economy is in pretty bad shape right now so I don't think a new macbook is even considerable. What route do you think I should take? Seeing as Snow Leopard is going to be Intel only (as far as I know) I think buying a G4 Powerbook isn't a smart decision. What do you think I should get as a replacement?

2. akbc macrumors 6502

If you are used to using the iBook and need the portability, I'd say the Macbook is the best route to go.

You'll love it, and the Snow Leopard will be functional on it :)

3. DVNO thread starter macrumors newbie

I have enjoyed using the loaned macbook very well (typing this on it right now) and I think I agree this would probably be the best long term decision. I just hope apple doesn't announce some $500 dollar netbook a few months after I buy the macbook though :D

4. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

ah, now lets not be so hasty.

snow leopard is a 64 bit operating system.
    the first macbooks were 32 bit (Core Duo)
    the Core 2 Duo are the 64 bit ones.

The resale values of the old machines are so ridiculous, and the intel machines blow the pants off the PowerPC machines. Do not get a G4.

even the G4 mac minis are roughly 300+ on ebay. not to mention all the more recent revisions of mac minis.

maybe not with Snow Leopard, but the next OS after that might be Intel only. (they talk about snow leopard about being more steamlined by removing the PPC architecture from it)

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I agree, if you have the money, go for it.

6. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I would look for a late 2006 MacBook that way you have a Core2Duo processor (64 bit) and the ability to run Snow Leopard. Good luck.