What router do you use?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by efedor, Feb 11, 2008.

1. efedor macrumors regular

So I bought a dlink dir615(50dls) and it worked great with the itouch...for a day! now I cant get it to work so im returning it. It seems that all the software and hardware is made for the POS windows and POS base pc's but not apple. If your an apple owner, which router would you recommend?

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Routers aren't tied to any particular OS.

The 'software' is probably only hyperlinks to the configuration page. My old router was a d-link, it worked just fine (apart from a documented DNS issue) until I changed ISP and was given the Orange Livebox which is an Inventel router I think.

As for suggestions, I find Netgears are pretty good. Dead simple to set up as well.

3. sers macrumors regular

4. tuneman07 macrumors regular

I have used Netgear and Linksys as well as Buffalo (not sure if that is the actual brand or not). Netgear and Linksys were both fine and the buffalo worked ok but was very complicated on the software end of things.

5. duve macrumors newbie

router

I have a Linksys WRT 54G router connected to my iMac G5. Linksys is probably the number 1 selling router. If you purchase 1 (about 44$) be sure to go to their website to install it. The software it comes with is for a PC. At Linksys website there is a very easy way to get it up and running. Make sure you look for Mac install.

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I am have used an Airport Extreme 802.11g and 802.11n model...

7. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Airport Extreme or Time Capsule

I find that LinkSys is better than DLink, but each should work okay.

Not sure what was meant about "getting the Mac software" for your router, as almost all routers (all good ones) use any old browser on the network to administer them. You shouldn't need software to do anything with a router AFAIK.

That being said I have a great Linksys wireless G router, that worked completely fine right up until Leopard. After looking around the net for solutions, there are many reports that the Leopard features like "Back to My Mac" (and even basic network file sharing :eek: ) are problematic on LinkSys hardware.

It appears, that even with all the right settings and so forth that "back to My Mac" in particular not only does not work at all for many people, but that it also begins to work the second you change out the router for Apple gear.

When you add in the excellent price and utility of the "Time Capsule" product, I think a Mac user would be foolish not to use an Apple router nowadays. They are fast, cheap(ish), very high quality and guaranteed to work with your Mac stuff.

I would advise going with Airport Extreme or Time Capsule for that reason.

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

9. honeytoast macrumors regular

I use a Buffalo WHR-G54S with Tomato 1.15 firmware. Rock solid and works great with all my devices.

10. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

If your encryption is set to 64 it won't work. You need to set it to 128.

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

12. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I used the infamous Linksys WRT54G router, it works great! I've already purchased 3 and have not had any problems with any of them.

13. rsm5068 macrumors regular

I use Linksys, but prefer/recommend Netgear. Linksys gives me issues and the designs are awkward. Netgear is what I set up for my boss, grandmother and will be installing for my Aunt when their insurance money comes. Their support is great and I have never had any trouble with quality or connectivity. I guess I should note that that applies to only PCs and iPhones.

14. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

just your basic linksys.... works great with my IPT

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I bought an Airport Extreme a few weeks ago. Been extremely happy with it. Since I've been using it, my iPhone never fails to connect to it using iTunes, YouTube and internet. With my old Linksys, I would get cannot connect errors all the time. The wireless range on the Linksys was so horrible that my iPhone couldn't connect in the next room. It can now connect while sitting in my car at the curb.

16. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

D-Link DGL-4100 Gigabit Gaming Router and several Gigabit D-Link switches in the house. I've been D-Link faithful ever since my success with the DI-604. For wireless, I use an Airport Express to broadcast it.