Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lampliter

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Hello everyone,I`ve been checking and reading as many posts as I can here to get some info on wich graphics card I can use in my ancient 10 month old mac pro.I know all about the 8800 issue and that the 2600 will work.Iam wondering what all my options are such as what cards I could flash or what cards I can use on the windows side and wich ones on the mac side.I read that the 2600 can be used with crossfire under windows but is that the windows version of the card.I have read a ton on here but there is so much conflicting issues that I would like to know what I can do to upgrade my 7300 gt.Thanks for any information you have.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
Hello.

Unfortunately this answer is probably not one you want to hear but your best option is the X1900XT as it is currently the fastest card you can put in the 06 - 07 Mac Pro that will work in both OSX and Windows. It sucks I know and I agree but there isn't much choice.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
You can use any PCI Graphic card in the world under Windows in the Mac Pro.

Apple sucks.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
I imagine any PC PCI-E card would work just fine under windows in your old Mac Pro (though I could of course be wrong).

I also assume it would be -easier- to find a PC card to flash, since you don't need the EFI-based cards. Again, I could be wrong. Hm.

An 8800 GT <i>IS</i> however, being worked on right now, if that's a concern... meaning if nothing else, you'll either be able to get one soon enough, or flash one PC-side to Mac (I assume the only Mac drivers are EFI right now... but to be perfectly honest I'm not sure the difference between EFI and traditional ROM/BIOS(?) and how that factors in.

You could just wait it out a bit.

matt321

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
At the moment, the x1900 xt is your best option for both OS X and bootcamp. Any PC video card will work through bootcamp.

I am in the same position you are in, waiting for an new option on the "Old" mac pro.

However, if you can find a PC x1900 xt 512mb some people have been able to flash it with the Mac Pro Bios.

Look here for instructions:

http://www.tenthousandpercent.com/?section=other&article=76

I picked one of these up and will be trying it tonight. Hopefully it work :confused:

lampliter

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Hi and thanks for your time.You guys mentioned that I can use any windows card under boot camp windows.Does that mean that I can use the windows version of the 8800 in windows and then boot into osx with my 7300 or say the mac version of the 2600.Also can I use 2x2600 windows versions in cross fire and use osx with these cards.Sorry if I sound confused, but I am.Once again THANKS.

matt321

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
Scenario One: A PC 8800 with EITHER a 7300 or 2600

This will work but you will need to physically move the video cable when you switch OS's. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I saw that in another post)

Scenario Two: Dual 2600's (Both purchased through Apple)

This works in both OS X and windows, no moving of the monitor cable required. You will need to purchase the Crossfire connectors somewhere else but it will work.

In OS X you get 4 monitors, it ignores the crossfire connector, and crossfire doesn't work.

In Windows via Bootcamp it recognizes the crossfire connector and it does work.

You must use the Apple versions of these cards otherwise you can't use OS X. (Unless you want to flash the PC version cards to Mac versions... )

lampliter

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
thanks matt321.Of all the options I like the flashing of the 1900 but they are as scarce as hens teeth.What do you mean by moving the video cable.Thanks for the info now I know my options,got some decisions to make.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.