What scanner for iMac with Lion?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by exfordy, Aug 1, 2011.

1. exfordy macrumors newbie

I have an Epson Perfection 3170 which ran happily with our previous iMac but since we bought a new iMac last month and loaded Lion I now get 'You can't open the application EPSON Scan because PowerPC applications are no longer supported.'
    I was very happy with the 3170 especially its ability to scan A4 reflective or negs / slides transparencies with the various mounts.
    I am quite happy to eBay my 3170 but have no idea what to get to replace it. Any recommendations would be very welcome. I scan many 35mm negs as well as A4 documents so want a flatbed scanner which converts to a film scanner like the 3170.

2. ChrisA, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

ChrisA macrumors G4

You don't need a new scanner, just different/better software.

Try this: http://www.hamrick.com/

There is a free demo version. It is much better than the old Epson software and worth the price. You can get better film scans using there multi-pass process

Have you tried running Apple's "Image capture" app?

EDIT: I wrote the above using a Linux system. Now that I'm on may new iMac (27" mid 2011 running Lion) I find the "epson scan" is a universal and runs on Lion just fine. I think you need to get newer software from Epson. That said the other software is still good, but not free like Epson Scan.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

We use a Brother 7440 Printer as our network scanner. It can scan and ftp documents on the network. I have a usb scanner lying around somewhere and I really should sell it as I haven't used it since getting the Brother. I like Brother's network scanner as it doesn't require software on the Mac and the print drivers for most Brother printers ship with OS X.

Color images come over as jpg and b&w come over as pdf files. I have an account set up on my Mac for it to send the ftp files. I also have a NAS which supports ftp and the printer can send scans there as well. Because we don't rely on software to scan and use printers with CUPS drivers, Lion was a non event wrt our ability to scan and print.

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

You can also try Epson's website to look for updated drivers for your scanner. They might even have a user forum with a topic for issues with the very scanner you own.

I have a HP G4050 scanner and the software is universal and still works with Lion. In fact I like the software they wrote for the Mac better than the software that they wrote for my pc when I tried out the scanner on the pc. The Mac software is just so much easier to work with.

5. exfordy thread starter macrumors newbie

VueScan - excellent

So I used Epson's help chat and was told download EPSON Scan 2.7zb. When the chat ended the chat disappeared so I hit back to get the link and a new chat started. When I explained I was told use Apple's Image Capture.
    Tried the Epson download - didn't work.
    Tried Image Capture - worked but limited.
    Tried VueScan - Wow. Excellent. Have just bought it. :D
    Thanks.

6. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

VueScan: Concur :)

7. Natttybe macrumors newbie

what scanner with imac with Lion

Hi! what is the situation with the drivers for the imac with Lion. My friend seems to have a similar problem with her 3170 scanner but I have been told that unless you have a supported driver the new software won't work