What screen glass used for iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Deasnutz, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Deasnutz macrumors 6502

I can't find info on this. Easily found that Surface Pro is Gorilla Glass 4. My gut tells me it's not published because it's inferior.

Anyone know?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It's not published because it doesn't matter. Apple doesn't want it to matter.

3. Deasnutz thread starter macrumors 6502

Woah woah...it doesn't matter? You believe that? Apple not wanting it to matter is pretty much admittance of interiority. The iPad is nothing without a screen.

4. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

Apple uses Gorilla Glass on the iPhones. They just don't advertise it. No one knows what they use for iPads but it's reasonable to think they've done their homework and it's a good mix of scratch resistant and tough. It could even be Gorilla Glass, who knows?

5. Deasnutz thread starter macrumors 6502

It's nowhere as resistant as Gorilla Glass.

6. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

... and what evidence do you have to prove it's not gorilla glass?

7. Deasnutz thread starter macrumors 6502

really dude? you are seriously going with "apple is secretly using gorilla glass without telling anyone and keeping that one design choice secret"?

8. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

I am not going with anything... I asked you a question and you are ducking the answer. What evidence do you have that they aren't using it? Because they don't say they are or they aren't? That is your conclusion. Apple doesn't say how much memory they use or who the manufacture of it maybe. Usually we only found out that information when a tear down is done. So, would it shock me that they are and it isn't published, not at all. Perhaps Apple is using something else. But again what evidence do you have either way?

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes, I do. It works. So why should I care? I don't. Apple doesn't want me to care. And I oblige. Gorilla or cheetah or lion. Whatever. It works.

10. Aydy, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015

Aydy macrumors regular

Aydy

I'd hazard its as cheap as they could find ;). Seriously tho my First A2 got scratched up a lot with not much effort, but my old ipad 3 has only tiny surface scuffing which can only be seen at an angle

11. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

What are you doing to your iPad to scratch it up like that? :eek:

12. Aydy, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015

Aydy macrumors regular

Aydy

Dont know tbh just accumulated over time and was in and out of a bag a lot, and sometimes without smart cover attatched.

Cosidered selling it on but couldnt be arsed in the end.

Anyway, Gave the scratched one to my mum and got another which had a kinda yellowing screen which was replaced. Im on my 3rd now lol (3rd time lucky...and screen protected ;))

Heres how it looked before i passed it on..

Sorry bout the laser beams. Pesky flash :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

13. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

Apple uses Gorilla Glass for the iPhone and they keep it a "secret". Why is it such a stretch to think that may also apply to another product? And as someone else said, they keep a number of "design choices" secret. They don't advertise RAM or anything about their CPU/GPUs other than speed comparison with other devices which they were equally as secret about. The only reason we know about them is because they're easily measured by third parties. The manufacturer of the glass isn't very easily measured.

I'm not saying they do or do not use Gorilla Glass for the iPad line. But it's not unreasonable to think that they could.

14. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I think they failed to put the oleophobic coating on the Pro... :p

15. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I thought Apple was one of the people who encouraged the invention of Gorilla Glass with the original iPhone? They asked for it to be made?

I'm sure they are still using either current generations of it or an equivalent product.

They aren't going to advertise another brand name on their product, Apple doesn't do that. The other guys do it for marketing reasons. Some people will say "I have to have that Gorilla glass."

16. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

Apple has never said "We use Gorilla Glass". They don't like to use other companies product names in their product descriptions.

But they use Gorilla Glass.

17. cynics macrumors G3

Many people are finding the new iPhone 6S gets microscratches easier then the iPhone 6. The first I heard about it was Linus from Linus tech tips, then users started reporting it in the iPhone forum. Btw Linus, while not an Apple fan praises the iPhone 6S and he just mentions the scratches on their WAN show while praising how durable the 6 screen was comparatively.

Since it doesn't seem the resistance of gorilla glass has gotten worse I don't think it's too far fetch to say Apple might not be using it in all their products. And if that's the case one could venture a guess it's not on the iPP.

People put gorilla glass on a pedestal like its gods gift to scratch resistant glass. It might be really good, but there are alternatives. Apple may need to use something different for the 3D Touch on the iPhone, or the stylus on the iPP.

Regardless like all these threads we can't get good evidence on what Apple uses without speculation so there isn't a right or wrong.

18. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

they have been using gorilla glass since gen 1

19. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

Where have you been op? Apple doesn't advertise a lot of specs. They have always been that way.

20. fenjen macrumors 6502

fenjen

They actually made the iPhone 6S basically water resistant and didn't mention it anywhere, so your argument doesn't really hold.

21. Aydy macrumors regular

Aydy

I posted some pics above of my Air2 which got scratched up. I had the ipad around 6 months, was in and out of rucksack in that time.

I dont know if the A2 has gorilla glass or not but if it does have then i agree with you in that it is certainly not very scratch resistant (as my photos prove)

Scratches accumilate over time, and i wont exaggerate and say i treated mine super careful but i also didnt have to put in much effort or to roughly manhandle it for it to end up like it did.
    So yeah, i agree, if its GG then its not gods gift to scratch resistance

22. David.Kennedy macrumors newbie

Seattle, Washington (where else is there?)
    This thread is #1 on Google for "iPad Pro Gorilla Glass", and it's a little disappointing that this is the case.

You know, to each his/her own, but I just shudder when I realize that obedience to the world's most profitable corporation has become a bragging point. I mean, Apple may not want you to care, and that's certainly their call to make ... if they buy it for you. If you pay for it with your own money, then what Apple does or doesn't want you to do should really be irrelevant to you personally.

Apple doesn't love you. They don't even think about you. Why you care what they want you to do, much less why you oblige, is one for the psychologists and psychiatrists of the world.

We understand. You're obedient to the wishes, both express and implied, of the company. Apparently you think it's a noble thing to be. Fair enough.

I'll just say that I could not possibly disagree more strongly, then I'll move on, and if anyone else winced upon reading your posts, well, this notes to tell you that you're not alone. Good luck to you.