What Screen Protector/Skin to Get for iPhone 5??

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by brokenbuyer, Sep 19, 2012.

1. brokenbuyer macrumors regular

There are too many opinions and too many choices... After reading many, many pages I still can't come to a conclusion.

For my screen, I want something that I can't tell is there (but good protection). For the back, I want full protection.

The new Zagg invisibleSHIELD Extreme looks pleasing and looks like it can hold up to a lot. However, worth the $49.99 price tag?

Ghost Armor is at $19.99
    Phantom Skinz is at $14.00
    Skinomi?
    invisibleSHIELD HD at $29.99
    Wrapsol at $30.

:confused:

2. brokenbuyer thread starter macrumors regular

3. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

All the wet install ones are terrible and feel like condoms. Like, really. They also get the stupid orange peel effect and I don't think you'd want to ruin your iPhone with that. Rock a matte one if you don't mind the decrease in clarity, rock a clear one if you don't mind a dirty, more oily iPhone, and rock a super-oleophobic one for a perfect experience (for a few days) until the coating wears off. In the end, the naked screen will always be better than the $50 *******crazypriced screen protectors.

4. TaylorB macrumors regular

I went with a Zagg one. I never liked using screen protectors, but I started using one on my iPad and it has been fantastic. They were very easy to deal with.

5. bevahunter macrumors newbie

If you can wait, go to powersupportusa.com. They are the best on the market.

6. luke707 macrumors member

Agreed with Power Support. The crystal film is fantastic and you can take it off and re-apply it easily if you ever need to. It's also very smooth and doesn't feel like you have a proctector on there at all.

Had mine for 2 years and it still looks as good as new.

Zagg are awful, like the guy said above, thy feel like a sticky condom to touch and after a while they peel off and go orange. Rubbish.

7. brokenbuyer thread starter macrumors regular

I just didn't want to use a case and was thinking if the invisibleSHIELD Extreme could put up/replace a case?

How so the PowerSupport do in terms of bumps, drops, etc?

8. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

I've got the SGP Spigen crystal SP

It was the only one I bought last year for the 4S and it still looks flawless

Def this or PowerSupport is the way to go

9. brokenbuyer thread starter macrumors regular

So looks like I'll get the SGP Ultra Crystal .

Is the one of their main site shipping or also preorder?

What about the back? Perhaps an invisibleSHIELD for the grip? I really don't want to use a case, but I want maximum protection w.o one.

10. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Yeah that's the one I got and used for the 4S...def a top 3 choice...plus u get 2

they are sooooo simple to apply as well

I'm curious about the back because its got the aluminum and then the 2 glass top and bottom.. I think the creases between the aluminum will make a back SP look pretty bad....hopefully I'm wrong

guess ill be looking out for reviews on them

11. brokenbuyer, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

brokenbuyer thread starter macrumors regular

SGP Ultra Clear will cost $18 shipped
    Bodyguardz will cost $10 shipped

What to get? I want maximum protection on the screen, without noticing anything there. For the back, I want maximum.

12. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I grabbed a 2-pack of the oleophobic SGP covers for $14 off Amazon. Had them on my 4, they held up pretty well.

13. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

I ordered the BSE for he back and will wait on power support for the screen

14. takeshi74, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's a subjective matter and if you can't decide using suggestions in existing threads then how will suggestions in this thread be of any benefit to you? Make a short list considering your preferences and budget and buy one. Unless you have had experience with the options you're considering you won't really be able to decide based on subtle differences between the choices.

You can use the common strategy of going with a popular option but popular and what you prefer aren't necessarily the same thing. When reading, try to pay attention to trends rather than focusing on individual recommendations. For crystal protectors, Power Support and SGP are very common suggestions. That isn't to say that there aren't other good options out there as well but "good" is a very subjective word. If you want suggestions for what you think is good then you'll need to be very clear regarding your preferences on the matter.

At its essence, it's really no different than shopping for anything else. If you pick any product and consider all the options you'll always be overwhelmed. You need to determine the defining characteristics of the product and how your preferences play into that, using your preferences to narrow down the options.

If you need impact protection then a screen protector isn't a relevant solution.

I doubt that anyone wants minimum protection. Keep in mind that screen protectors are sacrificial parts. They're not unscratchable. They're intended to take the scratch instead of your screen as they're easier to replace. Some will scratch easier than others but no one has performed a fully objective scratch test on all the options out there.

Worth is also a highly subjective word. It's clearly worth it to those that bought it and not worth it to those suffering from sticker shock. What are you willing to spend? What are you expecting for that price?

Again, subjective. There is a lot of criticism of Zagg's older style screen protectors. I don't care for them either. That said, there are those that prefer them. Never assume that your preferences are universal on any topic. If you know that you can't stand orange peel then the older style Zagg screen protectors won't be a good choice. If you don't want to deal with a wet install (not a big deal for me and others as well) then don't choose the older style Zagg screen protectors. It has been reported that the new Zagg HD screen protectors aren't as bad with orange peel but I have no experience with them and can't directly comment.

I have been buying SGP oleophobic screen protectors for their anti-smudge properties but, as stated above, the coating wears off over time and what's left is essentially a crystal screen protector. SGP's and Power Support's crystal screen protectors are good options to consider if you want something that feels close to bare glass and isn't visually obtrusive but, as I said, there are certainly other crystal screen protectors to consider if that's what you want. There are also options for antiglare, antifingerprint, privacy, etc. Keep in mind that some will impact image quality.

Again, better/best is always highly subjective on any topic.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules

15. bsmith4832 macrumors regular

BodyGuardz. All I ever use on all my devices.

16. thewired1 macrumors member

I ordered Phantom Skinz Matte for the back and sides and SPIGEN SGP Ultra Oleophobic for the front. Total cost was about $27 shipped.

17. Munitalp macrumors 65816

I've used PowerSupport ones since my first iPhone and they are always flawless. Never had any scratches or damage to any iPhone.

18. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

19. illusion787 macrumors newbie

I use XOSKINS for all my screen protectors accessories, but have seen many good deals on amazon.com as well.
    You just have to look around and see what you like

20. brokenbuyer thread starter macrumors regular

So I just made my purchase for Bodguardz back/side.
    Total was ~$11 and the pack of 2 will work for the two phones I'm getting.

Then for the front screen I'll wait for the PS to come out.

I really want to see reviews on the invisibleSHIELD Extreme tho. If it can hold up all of that, then I wouldn't need a case. Really don't want a case, but I assume that if I want decent protection (against bumps, drops) for my phone I will need to get a case?

21. BDoggPrelude macrumors regular

BDoggPrelude

The Zagg InvisibleShield for the screen only is $20. I had it on my 4 and got sick of the feeling and orange peel look after a few months. After getting my 5 in the mail today I decided to go out and find a temporary screen protector and case to keep my phone pristine while I try to decide what I really want for it. Unfortunately, the only store near me that had screen protectors in stock for the 5 was Best Buy...and all they had were the Zagg InvisibleShields. The fitment is horrific, (I paid Geek Squad $8 to install it for me). The cut is far from perfect and doesn't go anywhere near the edge of the screen. I don't know if I just got a bad one or they are all just designed with approximated specs from Apple and the next batch will be better. It has a lifetime warranty through both Zagg and Best Buy so I'll ride it out a few weeks and see if they've gotten any better.

22. DrewQuinz macrumors member

I have one on now too and its just not you..the cut is HORRIBLE I got it put on for free at RadioShack, I am def getting a new one I just wanted a temp one

23. kuang1 macrumors newbie

24. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

ordered BSE, waiting on delivery. Screen protector is just a cheap-o one from verizon.

25. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Sticker boy has always been a good brand for me. They have many options on the coverage, plus matte or clear. Also if you want colored or clear. Installation can be wet or dry, plus it has side wraps to protect from dings or any potential paint chipping for the iPhone 5. Got mine with a 5% discount code: CABLE.