What Screen Recorder to Use...

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by jotade11, Aug 12, 2010.

1. jotade11 macrumors regular

Hello everyone!

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the correct forum, but I was wondering what the best application (or settings!) to capture high quality Youtube video of gaming (WoW, Need for Speed, etc.) or of Mac tutorials. I have tried both ScreenFlow and iShowU HD, but on my 2009 MBP (2.66 Core Duo, 4 GB RAM) it freezes everything up.

Of course, I've tried closing all the other applications running, but it hasn't helped the framerate. On iShowU HD, I set my own settings with a framerate of 30 FPS and set the output= with the input size. I even tried turning on the CPU saving feature.

Basically, I'm looking for a little help with what settings to use to upload decent 720/1080p video to Youtube, sometimes with graphic-intensive content.

Thanks!

Edit: I got a Youtube video up in what is supposedly 1080p, but everything, especially text is blurry (and it is just video of my desktop and Finder :( ).
    It looks like the text in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRbmpmIFS5s when you play it at 360p in full screen. But of course, it is my 1080p that looks like his 360p.... his 720p is great so that's what I'm looking for if I can get it!

2. Jomskylark macrumors regular

Snow Leopard has a decent screen recorder with Quick Time. Other than that I might recommend Snapz Pro X.

3. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

If your running Snow Leapord go into Quicktime click file then new screen recording. That works pretty well considering its built in to Quicktime.

4. jotade11 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh wow, I totally forgot about it! Thanks you two! :) Works much better

5. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

no problem, i was super excited when i found about it lol

6. jotade11 thread starter macrumors regular

Gah!
    Now YouTube has gone and made it all fuzzy like it was before :(
    But at least I know now that it's YouTube or the uploading process.. not my screen recorder. Does anyone have any tips on the best way to upload to Youtube?