What screen to get on my 17inch MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickspohn, Jun 6, 2008.

1. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

My XPS M1710 died yesterday, thus now it's the perfect time for a new macbook :D

My M1710 had a WUXGA Truelife (Glossy) screen. I really like the look of it.

I don't know what to get on my MBP through. The hi-res gloss or the matte?

Are there any pic comparisons of the two? Thanks for the help.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Honestly, the best way to compare is heading down to the local Apple store or reseller. Of the two I opted for the matted screen because I use my notebook, on occasion, in rooms with lots of lighting. That lighting may cause glare problems with a glossy screen.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I got the Matte, and all my external screens are matte (color corrected etc etc).

It would drive me nuts dealing with the reflection I had on one of my old glossy laptops.

4. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well the closest Apple store isn't that "close" to be honest...

Do you think they will have different screen options on display?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes, but they will only sell the Standard WSXGA+ panel with matte and glossy; if you want a glossy HR WUXGA then you will need to order online.

6. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yeah i'm going to order online anyways.

Thanks for that thread link too. I think since the glossy screen i have now has never been an issue, i'll just wing it and get the glossy. My Inspiron 8600 had a matte screen. Even though it was WXGA, it was uglyyyyy

7. kam760 macrumors newbie

I have a glossy screen on my Blackbook, it's NOTHING like i expected. There's absolutely no glare compared to other laptops, like my brother's Samsung. My LCD matte monitor for my PC gets more glare -.-.
    The only time I really have noticed glare or reflection, is I'm right in front of a window with the sun facing the screen. Have no problems with lighting in rooms.
    But like every said, check the Apple store, hopefully the 24 Fluoro light want give a biased impression :p

8. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I'm extremely happy with my glossy, and have to problem with glare, even in the car.

9. Crossbone macrumors regular

i love the glossy, but some times i like the matte, but if there is a choice on the item, i would go with the glossy, vibrant colors.

but its really up to you, your choice, we cannot tell you what to do or pick/

10. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

I went to the apple store to make the decision between gloss/matte and 1050 vs 1200.

The gloss screen is very rich, but I found that in the store the fluorescent lights interfered with viewing the screen. Since I work primarily in an environment that this would be a problem, I went matte.

Interestingly, while viewing the matte screen outside is not perfect, it is perfectly serviceable to work outside.

If you can wait for a custom built shipped one, I'd get the 1900x1200. It is amazing how much screen real estate you get in such a lightweight (compared to other 17" notebooks) package. The only thing is that you will need to increase the magnification in some programs.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I say get the matte. I would have gotten the glossy if it were still ccfl backlit displays BUT these led backlit in matte looks amazingly accurate and vivid and for some reason brighter than the glossy version of the led.

I've been through 15 mbp in the last 4-5 months.. dont ask me why and I had 5-6 of them in glossy as I changed my mind but always went back to matte.