What screen to go with MacBook Pro 13" Retina?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sverkel, May 7, 2015.

1. Sverkel, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015

Sverkel macrumors regular

Sverkel

Which of the 2 screens I link to would you choose together with this Mac and why?

- MacBook Pro 13" Retina (2015)
    - 16GB RAM
    - 2.7GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    - 128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    - Intel Iris Graphics 6100
    - Force Touch trackpad

The one inch screen difference is not important, what I think about most is Response time and the difference between IPS screen and TN screen and it is worth the 200$ (1400 kr. danish) extra for the IPS display?

Right now I got a 27 "iMac. For the things which the image means a lot, I use it mainly to watch Blu-Ray movies, web design in Photoshop, playing Diablo 3 and Portal 2, watch TV via my EyeTV and edit images in Apple new photo app (just for private use, no proff.). The screen will be mounted on my wall so it will be at the same place always.

Screen 1 (Dell P2715Q): http://www1.euro.dell.com/dk/da/hjemmet/Dell-Tilbehør/dell-p2715q-monitor/pd.aspx?refid=dell-p2715q-monitor&cs=dkdhs1&s=dhs

Screen 2 (Asus PB287Q): http://www.asus.com/dk/Monitors_Projectors/PB287Q/

2. joshjohnson macrumors member

No question i would go for the IPS panel. The IPS tech makes much better responsiveness and clarity. Double check the screen works with your macbook. I would take your rMBP to a local big box store and try the screens out.

3. PaulWog, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015

PaulWog Suspended

Correct me if I'm wrong, but IPS panels tend to have a slower response time than your cheaper TN panel or some other alternatives. Not that it really makes a difference to the human eye. Has this changed in the past couple of years?

Even *if* an IPS panel had say a 0.5ms response time, or 1ms response time, it would be impossible to discern from a panel with a 2ms rated response time, or 4ms, or I don't know how far you can go. But an 8ms IPS panel is still fast enough with its response time, unless if it's an older one with fudged numbers and some ghosting from years ago.

Edit: I managed to get to the English version of the pages, and the IPS panel has a 6ms fast rated response time, 9ms average. The other panel has a 1ms response time. I certainly would still get the IPS panel.

4. Sverkel thread starter macrumors regular

Sverkel

Right now I got the 2009 iMac 27" with the IPS display, so thats what i'm used to.

My big concern is with the general picture. My iMac got that glossy screen I like but none of those or other 4K displays I look at got that, so I want the screen that comes closest to my iMac, but I can't figure out if its the 200 dollars extra worth for the IPS display?

Also, I live in Denmark so the places I can go and look at the screens is very small if they are even there?

5. joshjohnson macrumors member

Just get an IPS display. it will come closest to what you're used to seeing and general quality is very good.

6. Moshu, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015

Moshu macrumors member

I use on a daily basis the Dell P2715Q at work.

It's not what I expected ( screen is not glossy, colors are a bit different from Apple monitors ), but it's a great monitor to run 4K @ 60 Hz.
    Don't get me wrong... colors aren't bad either. It's just that if you would put it close to a retina 5K iMac and ignore the DPI difference, the mac monitor would have better colors.

On the other hand, for the price point it's a perfect buy so unless you wanna buy a 5K iMac or can settle for less than 4K resolution, go for the DELL :cool:

Here's a picture to help you decide ;-)
    [​IMG]

7. Sverkel thread starter macrumors regular

Sverkel

Thank you for the pic. :) I think I will go for the Dell screen. Lucky for me, in Denmark after we get what we buy from the internet, we have 14 days to try it and send it back if we don't like it ;)

I think the biggest change for me will be the Glossy screen not being there on the Dell.

8. MacbookPro2015 macrumors member

Bring your Macbook to a store to see how it handles the 4K. I've been debating the exact question but several posters and youtube reviewers are stating the the system runs very choppy with 4K at 60hz...although some users report no problems.

9. Sverkel thread starter macrumors regular

Sverkel

There is no store in Denmark who got the screen on hand, I can only order online, but as I said I can try them for free for 14 days and if I don't like them I can return them with 100% money back deal.

But thank you for the information :)

10. errorunknown macrumors member

You're PC is too weak for a 4K monitor, I would look at a 1440P monitor instead.