iPhone XR What screen - Xr or Xs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Omega Mac, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Omega Mac macrumors 6502

I like my blacks black and the Xr screen has a lot of punch. The whites are white, the blacks black. The Xs screen on the other hadn't is silky smooth and richer tones.

I took a side by side shot with iP6s which actually managed to capture the relative difference and the difference in screen is very noticeable. I should have taken one with flat white and text web page, since I do a lot of reading, I think I preferred the Xr colour rendering and default size rendering for reading.

Xr right, Xs left.

IMG_2905 (1).jpg IMG_2907 (1).jpg

2. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Xs is vastly superior, especially if you like your blacks black. End of thread.

3. Omega Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought blacks on LCD where the only superior aspect Vs OLED's?

Maybe there are endless threads on this issue however. That was not my real world visceral experience. I'm going to have to go back a few times and try out a few more use scenarios.

First time, I tired both with TT on and off. I noticed the whites were very blue still on the Xs and I actually have a blue cast preference when adjusting images but when it comes to reading day in day out on a small screen especially in the winter as daylight is less and less - I have begun to enjoy nightshift more and more and actually can't do without it now for nocturnal reading, however that's not the same point but basically the XR screen had a nicer neutral leaning toward warmer tone TT or not.

The Xs seemed to exhibit a duller rendering of white background on websites, looked dirty if anything.

Though the Xr has the lower ppi (very close to my current iP6s) and slightly larger screen footprint, this may be a very appealing and comfortable configuration. I do not wear or need reading glasses.

4. MacLappy macrumors 6502

The photo looks a whole lot better on the XR. Why is that.... I don’t understand.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

6. kingston73 macrumors 6502a

kingston73

I've read several threads with the same basic question and/or thoughts and IMO you can go into settings and create a warmer or cooler color scheme so saying 1 is bluer or whiter than the other is variable. Overall the OLED will give better blacks and can be adjusted to give you "whiter" whites or warmer whites depending on your preference.

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/tweak-iphone-ipad-true-tone-display/

7. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Because the Xr is closer to the camera, and the focus point is on that phone. Everything is in softer focus behind the Xr, including the wood grain on the desk. Also, the Xr is at an angle, so it has less glare from the overhead lights but a similar amount of direct reflection.

8. MacLappy macrumors 6502

Wow, now I understand. Thank you for the explanation.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

XS Max owner here. Yes, the blacks are more true on the XS over the XR. However, ‘Vastly superior’ I don’t agree with. There are many threads where others have said with side-by-side comparisons of the XR and XS, they really can’t tell the difference, aside from the blacks. And even comparing my Max to the XR display, it’s _very_ close in terms of color calibration.