What screens can I use with a Mac mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Hamilton, May 26, 2009.

1. Hamilton macrumors newbie

Hi,I'm a first time buyer with apple macs and need advice.
    I'm thinking of getting a Mac mini and Logic express 8 to kick start my music production career but I'm low on cash.:(
    Can you use just apple displays with a Mac mini or can you use any?
    Any other info on mac minis or logic express 8 would be appreciated:

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Welcome to the Mac. :)

You can use just about any type of display with a Mac mini, you don't need an Apple display. So if you've already got a computer monitor, you can just use that one with it instead. The Mac mini is a great machine, by the way.

3. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Logic Express works great on previous gen mac minis (not mine, at school)

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

You will need an adapter to go with whichever screen you choose... unless you go with the 24" LED Cinema Display of course.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It comes with a Mini DVI-DVI adapter, so you can use any DVI display out of the box.

6. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Getting a mini-DVI to DVI adapter or a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter are good ways of attaching any monitor. Only Apple displays can be used on the Mini DisplayPort, which can be a little flakey. I'd personally go with the MiniDVI, but that's just me.

I'm not too sure on this, but audio programs generally like more RAM and virtual instruments can eat up a HDD; however, I am sure your needs are not as intense as some :D I think the Mini has a 3GB RAM limit.... Were you buying the entry-level version?

EDIT;
    Tallest Skil beat me to it - since the adapter comes in-box, no need to worry about it. Did you have a particular display in mind?

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The new minis have a 4GB limit. The old ones topped out at 3.3GB (using 2X2GB sticks).

8. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

you'll be more than fine with logic express. and yeah any monitor will do. most monitors are VGA which shouldn't be a problem. any monitor will work - depending on the type of cable you might need another adaptor.. probably should have researched a little more

9. Hamilton thread starter macrumors newbie