What screwdriver heads are needed for opening the 2011 MBP 15

hawk1410

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2011
What screwdriver heads are needed for opening the 2011 MBP 15 and replacing the Super Drive with a Optibay Caddy??

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I think it would be come in very handy if you just buy the PC screwdriver set. I just bought one today, and they have 36 different types. Previously, I used to buy single screwdrivers, but they all wore out. This time though, I bought the stainless steel screwdrivers. Perfect quality :)

hawk1410

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2011
Well i did search and found some saying they needed the #000, i just wanted to know which one was required #00 or #000. So it is #00, i knew about the Torx T6.
Anyone know a good set with magnetics tips. I am looking for one. I know i can find one using google but i wanted to know if there is a particular one that anyone here would suggest??

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Well i did search and found some saying they needed the #000, i just wanted to know which one was required #00 or #000. So it is #00, i knew about the Torx T6.
Anyone know a good set with magnetics tips. I am looking for one. I know i can find one using google but i wanted to know if there is a particular one that anyone here would suggest??
I used #00 and it opened fine.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just get one of those $5 kits at Home Depot with everything.
That will work if you just plan on doing this one time, but if you plan frequent use of the tools it is better to buy a quality screwdriver with a hardened metal tip. The cheaper tools sets often have low quality tips that will tend to strip out the heads of the screws if you are not very careful.

This one by Wiha tools is good quality. Amazon sells this screwdriver with the Torx #6 you need for $8.35.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
That will work if you just plan on doing this one time, but if you plan frequent use of the tools it is better to buy a quality screwdriver with a hardened metal tip. The cheaper tools sets often have low quality tips that will tend to strip out the heads of the screws if you are not very careful.

This one by Wiha tools is good quality. Amazon sells this screwdriver with the Torx #6 you need for $8.35.
I agree in general, but by the tone of the OP I don't think he's a frequent user. Also, the Husky set I mentioned from Home Depot is actually pretty good. I've used it for a lot of devices and it hasn't stripped anything yet.

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Every site said #00 but the #00 did not work for me i had to use #000.

Last edited: