What seems like extremely hard math to me.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hummer, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Well I'm in 11th grade math which is basically algebra/a pre-introduction to calculus.

I'm doing a personal project that involves me finding out roughly how many images at 3" x 3" can fit on a car with these dimensions without covering the windows and head/brake lights:

overall length (inches): 187.6, overall width (inches): 73.9, overall height (inches): 55.7, wheelbase (inches): 107.1, front track (inches): 62.8, rear track (inches): 63 and curb to curb turning circle (feet): 33.4

It's the dimensions of an '07 mustang.

I can show you guys when I'm done, but I need to know how I would go about finding an answer.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you need to find out the surface area of the car, and divide that by the surface area of a 3" by 3" image (9 in^2).

3. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

Would just adding up those dimensions do me justice?

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Not quite. Area=base*height

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the problem is that a car isn't exactly a rectangular prism. you'd have to break it down into shapes for which you can find the area. things like the hood, the roof and the trunk should be simple rectangles. you can make the side profile a recangle and cut out circles for the wheel wells. be creative.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Thankfully, the current Mustang can be divided into normal shapes pretty easily. Mostly rectangle and triangle based shapes.

7. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

I took the easy way out and just went with really small images and less than I'll need. If you want to check out the project, PM me.

Thanks you guys.