What serial number(for 16GB iPhone)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ej2zo, Feb 25, 2008.

1. ej2zo macrumors member

So I've been hearing some not-so-good things about the lcd on the 16GB iphone.... how MANY of them contain the negative black effect. Actually, I think this is true for ALL new iphones, am I right? What's the deal here? If I was to purchase an iphone today, I wouldn't like my chances on getting a good screen. Anyone else feel like this?

So what's the magical serial number here? I've heard week 4 and week 5 are good. They have the good panels I believe - 7459072 & 7586304.

Any advice? Thanks.:cool:

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have bought three iPhones since January, one of them a 16GB and two 8GB. none of them have the negative black. That was fixed supposedly back when 1.1.2 was released.

I haven't heard of a single person complaining about negative blacks on the 16GB, in fact allot say the screens are a bit better than the 8GB.

My 16GB is a week 4. I bought it the day they were released.

3. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

I have a 10 day old 16 GB and am concerned that I have the negative black problem. It is a week 4 with lcd #7520768. I plan to go to the Apple store tomorrow to compare it to their demos and talk to them about it.

Lisa

4. ej2zo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick response. I've been to several message boards where I've read complaints about the 16. I have a quick question for you. Is there any chance week 4s and 5s are still available at Apple stores? Or does the stock move really fast and they bring in week 6s, 7s, etc quickly?

5. ej2zo thread starter macrumors member

Yup, that's what I'm talking about. 7520768 is notoriously a horrible panel.

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Power of suggestion is amazing. You wouldn't have even thought about it or even wondered about if your screen was normal if you hadn't have seen this thread.

7. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

Sorry, but I'm not that gullible. I'd already researched this thoroughly and gone through all of the screen tests that are provided in the other threads.

8. yoomy macrumors member

i had a 16gb iPhone with very bad black, where other iPhones looked black, mine looked gray. I didnt like it at all and sent it back, waiting for exchange now.

how do I check the Display Number btw? is it even possible w/o jailbreak?

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

my 16gb has much more contrast and a warmer colour temperature than my old 8gb and when I first saw it I didn't like it as much. Having had the phone a couple of weeks now I have got used to it andit now looks better to me than the old one.

10. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

My 16 G looks fine- the black BG behind the icons is very deep. But it is LCD, not known fore 100% black. If you are very concerned about black levels, maybe wait for the CRT version of the iPhone? :D

Seriously, why be so anal about it? If it looks good, run with it. It is a phone, NOT a reference-level monitor, and you should not expect it to be one. I can see being upset about dead pixels and such, that interferes with the display, and on a small display, that can be a real problem.

But just get it, and look at it. If it reads fine, keep it. If not, just return it and get a new one- no big deal, and NOTHING to get stressed about!

11. wchong macrumors 6502

or wait for an O-LED screen right?