What settings do you lose in a restore from Time Machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by msw123307, Jan 8, 2010.

1. msw123307 macrumors 6502

I did a complete restore, the only thing so far I've noticed is that I lost my screensaver settings. Besides that everything seems the same.

The only other thing I'm worried about is that it ported over HD inconsistencies from my previous failed machine.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You shouldn't lose any. Corrupted files may be an issue if you restored a backup made after your hard drive issues began, but not if you used an older backup.

3. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm...i guess it's possible i turned off the screen saver but i really doubt it. i restored from a backup that unfortunately was during that time, didn't really have a choice because i needed files that were there then, but weren't there during the prior update.

Seems like Apple needs to account for this or develop some sort of workaround. For example, if there were permissions issues, something causing disk failure...what's stopping time machine from copying it over again and again (onto my new mac now), and thus, i'll never solve the problem?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm not sure what you're asking. If the Time Machine drive fails, obviously your backup is toast. If it just backs up corrupted files, you can select to restore from an earlier backup.

5. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

But if that earlier backup doesn't contain some of the files that you need...and the backup that does is the one with the disk errors...?

6. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

You do not need to restore your entire disk when you do a restore from Time Machine. You can go in there and pick one file or one directory or several directories, or several files and restore only the ones you select.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Use the backup with the stuff you need.

Huh?