What settings for great YouTube video?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Vanilla, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I have some live performance music videos I would like to upload to youtube.

I have the original source on DVD and have used handbrake 9 to rip them with the following settings:
    Format mp4
    Output : 320x240 (source 730x576)
    Codec : avc/h.264
    Encoder : x264 (h.264 Main)
    fps : 25
    average bitrate : 2000
    Encoding : Single pass
    Deinterlace : Slowest
    Denoise : Strong
    anamorphic : Off
    keep aspect ratio : On
    Sound : AC3
    Sample Rate : 44.1khz
    Bitrate : 160
    Stereo

When I look at the resultant video the quality is truly superb. However when I upload it to youtube the quality on youtube is terrible. I am at my wits end, having tried all sorts of combinations. The above settings came from hours/days trawling around sites to find the best combination of settings that would work on youtube but to no avail.

There are many examples on youtube of great quality video so it's clearly possible and the source video I have is superb so I am desperately looking for someone to help me in the process of ripping video off a DVD and uploading to youtube with great quality.

Can anyone help?
    Vanilla
    NOTE: The bands are unsigned and have granted me the right to promote their content online! this is not an illegal act!

2. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

I once stumbled upon this site and though I haven't done too many videos, it seems like it's pretty good. It is quite advanced, but just using the basic tips given in the article already does wonders. Don't forget however, that no matter how good your source video is, it will be seriously compressed for YouTube, and image quality will not be superb

EDIT: I don't know if all settings will be available in handbrake, if not, use iMovie or better (FCE/P) to do the export for YouTube.
    P.S. If you have iMovie '08, try their export function

3. Vanilla thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you, this looks interesting!

I don't have Final Cut Pro but I do have Quicktime Pro, so maybe that will work. I just have the remaining issue that the Videos are on DVD and Quicktime doesn't read directly off DVD's...maybe I should use something like MacTheKnife to get the file off DVD?? I will experiment but this article at least gives me another direction to move in...

4. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

you can use handbrake to export the dvd video, but make sure the quality is high enough.