What settings = no data charge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CBX, Jul 28, 2010.

1. CBX macrumors regular

Hi passing phone in to family member who will be using it (3G) for just voice. All data will be done via home wifi.

What settings would allow this so no data charges occur?

I know it's not using the phone perhaps as intended but it's all that's required for the user.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

AT&T will add a data plan regardless of whether or not you use it. Their network recognizes it as a iPhone and will add a data plan.

3. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

If you are using the phone on AT&T, once they go to activate it with their SIM, they will be required to choose a data plan. It is a requirement for all smartphones on AT&T to have a data plan, not just the iPhone.

The only alternative that I'm aware of is JB and that allows you to make some changes to disable data. I'm not familiar with them since I'm not into JB.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Pay as you go is probably the best option, especially if the rumors of AT&T automatically adding the data plan are true.

5. CBX thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry. Should have said it will be PAYG in the uk and the phone is unlocked

6. wvphysics macrumors regular

If you can activate without a data plan, just flip the switch that says "cellular data" to off in the network settings.

7. warrmr macrumors regular

or you can change the APN settings to anything but the ones o2 advise

Pay & Go
    To change your data settings:

1. From the main screen of your iPhone, tap Settings > General > Network
    2. Tap ‘Cellular Data Network’.
    3. Under ‘Cellular Data’, tap APN and change ‘idata.o2.co.uk’ to ‘payandgo.o2.co.uk’ (‘o2’ needs to be written with a letter ‘o’, not a zero). You don’t need to change your username and password.
    4. Ignore the APN box under ‘Visual Voicemail’ – it’s not available on Pay & Go.
    5. Under MMS, tap APN and change ‘idata.o2.co.uk’ to ‘payandgo.o2.co.uk’ (‘o2’ needs to be written with a letter ‘o’, not a zero). You don’t need to change your username and password.
    6. Turn your iPhone off and on again.
    7. If you’re using your iPhone sim for the first time, you’ll need to top up at least £10

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/settings.html

8. wvphysics macrumors regular

In the US we only have a on/off switch. We also don't have the option for pay as you go.

9. CBX thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all for the info

I saw the cellular data switch but thought it might affect mms aswell

10. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

It will......if cellular data is turned off on the phone you will not receive mms.