What settings should i run FSX on this video card?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by bluedoggiant, Jan 22, 2008.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

an ati radeon 2600 xt core chip, 256mb of ddr3 ram, and a clock speed slightly faster than an 2600 pro, but slower than a 2600xt

also, 2 gigs of ram (soon 4), and a 2.8ghz core 2 extreme intel processor.

do you know where i can get this information? or if you know it? and which would be better, XP, or vista, and which version also. i have FSX Deluxe.

2. dimme macrumors 65816

I run flight simulator X on my MBP 2.4 2 gigs ran 256 vram with the graphics at High everything else Medium High except for traffic which I turn off. I get a steady 20fps. Are you running on a 24iMac? How much Memory? I would be curious what your GPU temp runs at after flying for 20 min or so? My MPB runes at 80C when I fly.

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

umm, are you reading my post? i clearly mentioned my specs. i had my video card go up to 157* FARENHEIT while playing doom 3 just to see how hot i can make it:rolleyes:. But thats a crappy graphix game compared to FSX.

i usually fly for a couple hours, i love commercial aviation, makes me feel like im some kind of super hero:p.

are you running xp or vista?

4. dimme macrumors 65816

I am using XP. I had Vista at first but changed to XP because it used less hard disk space. FSX is the only windows app I use, with vista and FSX it used up almost 32 GB. Performance wise they were pretty close. I hope you can post you GPU temperature when you are fly next.

5. Thunderbird8 macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

Bluedoggiant - I am looking at getting the exact same machine soon and have been watching the FSX / tweaks / FS9 debate with interest. I would be very interested in hearing more about your experiences with FSX on your 24" imac.

I think it comes down to what each individual considers acceptable. Many people have said that even a top spec imac would be a 'slide show' whilst running FSX, others have said that it is great.

I do think many PC users do a direct hardware comparison and then superimpose their opinion of how PC hardware with the same spec would perform.

I have heard that in general terms running XP is considered better than Vista due to Vista being resource-hungry. Having said that there is the fuss about DirectX10 (which will only run on Vista) but I'm not sure of that's needed, no expert.

6. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

XP is said to be better, but im waiting to buy in the summer, to see which would be better then, im waiting for sp1. no machine can really play fsx well, but the 24 inch imac with top specs should run it very well, hopefully by that time ill have 4 gigs of ram