Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhazeII

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Southern California
Alright so I am trying to track down why is it that I can send some pictures through MMS and others can NOT.

Does anybody know what file or setting takes care of re-sizing a picture when sent through MMS?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
A warning: If you do change the max allowed size, the MMS will get bounced by your carrier for not being within the allowed range.

PhazeII

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Southern California
I know T-mobile only allow 1mb MAX on MMS but on the Iphone 4 i take pictures that are over 1mb. What takes care of re-sizing the images?

1mb = 1024 right?

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The Messages.app resizes the app to the size specified in the carrier bundle. The carrier may also resize it.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Intell said:
The Messages.app resizes the app to the size specified in the carrier bundle. The carrier may also resize it.

Not true if your iPhone hasn't resized it correctly it womt get past the carriers servers.

Tbh op it's not worth messing with. The carrier settings are very specific.

PhazeII

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Southern California
I'm just trying to figure out why I'm not able to send some pictures and others I can. So the "Phone" re-sizes the pictures too?

So let me get this straight. T-mobile, my carrier bundle inside my phone, and the "Phone" re-size the mms picture?

Is there maybe a link i could read up on or could u explain further?

macbookman83

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2011
New York
when you snap pics are they saved in the HDR or just regular format?.....

It is my understanding that the HDR format takes up more space.

PhazeII

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Southern California
Good point...

I have tried sending a pic through MMS with HDR ON with the "Option" of saving the original and the HDR pic at the same time.

I tried sending the Original one (1.74Mb) and the HDR (2.05MB). I was Successful in sending the Original one but not the HDR one.

To make sure this was the issue I tried once again by snapping another pic. Original (2.02MB) and the HDR (2.29MB). I tried sending the Original first but I had no luck and same result with the HDR one.

I tried sending the Original picture (1.74MB) again but it did not go through!

What gives??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.