What Shall I Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MrAnthonySutton, Jul 1, 2012.

1. MrAnthonySutton macrumors newbie

With me getting ready to start college, I have decided to buy a Mac. Now, with the release of the retina Macbook Pro, I have started to ask some questions.

At first, I was going to go back and forth between buying and IPad 32GB AND and IMac 27 inch with:
    • 3.4 quad core processor
    • 16 gb of ram (I'll probably buy 3rd party since it is about $200 dollars cheaper)
    • 1tb hard drive
    • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB graphics card

Or just a Macbook Pro still slightly upgraded for my heavy amount of usage.

But now the retina display has come out, I can't decide weather to still buy an IMac (wait until the new release) and buy an IPad for taking notes and such, or just buy the new retina Macbook Pro.

I am going to school for an IT degree. To be more precise, I want to major in computer science. Please keep in mind that I do have a decent laptop at home (I just don't want to have to haul it to school and back) that I can still do my programming on. So worst case scenario, I wait for the new IMac and buy an IPad. I will actually use my IPad A LOT since I am always on the run, and sometimes a computer is to big to do something simple for example, checking my email.

What do you guys think, what would you buy? Just the retina Macbook, or the IMac?

2. MrAnthonySutton thread starter macrumors newbie

3. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Here's my 2 cents.

I'd go with the Retina MBP if you've got the cash for it, and I'd also upgrade it to the top so you hopefully can keep it for more than 2 years. Portability is nice, but you'll get more use out the the rMBP than you will out of an iPad in classes. That's my perspective, anyway.