Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
i've worked out a new mac pro, single chip 2.8GHz, 2GB, 8800GT and with additional 250GB and 500GB drives and a single 20" samsung monitor will cost me £1450 ex VAT (buying through a business so get VAT back)

do you think this is a good buy?

I worked out a custom build Intel quad Q6600 2.4Ghz, 4GB, 1.5TB (split across drives), 8800GT with dual screens and Vista would cost me about £1200

The main thing i have to think about is is the leopard OS and the presitge/build quality of an Apple system together with the latest penryn chip worth £250, half the RAM and single screen??

What would you do? (I know we're all pro Apple here so i can guess the majority of responses!)

PS - i'm not looking for a battle here, i've written this down more as a way of putting my thoughts down on paper so to speak

Faraden

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
Well you guessed me response, however if you want to pay the extra 250 for a quality machine with a loverly operating system.. go for the mac pro, if you want a beige plastic box with an appalling operating system (its getting a tiny bit better but it isn't there yet) go PC :p

For me I would rather pay the 250 price difference to get a machine I can for one sell on for close to purchase price with a superior build quality, and be able to sleep at night.

(runs and hides)

:apple:

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
lol

I think it has to be the MP. I still edit on Final Cut too much to switch to Avid/Premiere

It's just, argh!, single screen!!, i had my heart set on duals! Might have to dig down behind the sofa for 'me pennies!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I think Windows and OS X are equally able to handle tasks, depending on one's preferences, so that's up to you.

I think the £250 is buying you a much better build quality. The MPs are a royal pain to carry around, but they're phenomenally well built. They'll last longer, and the latest round seems to have a great deal of expandability.

It does cost more. I think though, that you'll be happier with the MP over the custom-build PC in the long run. I know there are PCs just as well built, but I don't think you'd be getting one for £1200.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.