Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rookies

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Ok Folks....

I am into Photography and currently own a MacBook Pro 2.16Ghz with 3gb of memory it about 2 years old. I am not sure if the performance is dropping on it or not. But what I want is to be able to work on a 24 " Screen for my photography work using aperture and CS4.

Should I buy a External monitor for my macbook if so which one since the new apple one wont work on my Macbook Pro.

Or a Mac Mini with a display.

Or a iMac which one.

I dont want to spend anymore than £1200 if possible.

Regards
Andrew

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
If you can't actually tell if your performance has dropped, I'd say it's a good bet that you don't need a new machine. Go for the external monitor.
I've heard that dell's high end is comparable to the ACD, but i'll leave the actual suggesting to someone more versed on the subject

hector

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK
Maybe think about selling the MBP on ebay (you ought to get a pretty good price, there are 2 at the moment for £700 and £800 buy it now) and investing in a 2008 24" 2.8 imac, they have been coming up for £950 in the refurb store.

If you got £700 for your MBP, then you could have the sweet (nearly) new imac for only £250!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.