What shall we Bootcamp users do with automatic Windows 10 update?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hajime, Feb 4, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hi, I read that from now on, older versions of Windows will automatically be updated to Windows 10. I do not know of Windows 10 is fully compatible with my MBP 17" mid 2010, rMBP 15" 2012 and rMBP 15" 2014. I also do not know if Bootcamps has corresponding drivers. Is it a good idea to update? If we do not want to update to Windows 10, can we stop the automatic update?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It won't get automatically updated, you need to choose whether you want to upgrade it or not. MS isn't forcing this on your, if you don't want it, you don't need to upgrade.

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Microsoft has now made Windows 10 a recommended update and if your update settings include getting recommended updates then Windows 10 will automatically download in the background. The actual upgrade is still manual but the installation file (4-6gb) will stay there and if you delete it to save space it will only download again until you turn off the option to get recommended updates.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Typical asinine Microsoft behavior...

5. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Well it's pretty much the same way Apple handles iOS updates.
    ;)

6. vladobizik macrumors 6502

FWIW, there's a tool called "GWX Control Panel" that can deter the "forced" Windows 10 upgrade, delete its corresponding files, prevent automatic downloading, etc. It's being actively developed, so even if Microsoft gets more aggressive in the following months, you can expect being able to block the update with this utility, if you so wish.
    http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Actually is upgrading to Windows 10 good for us? Perhaps with better stability and performance? Don't know if Apple has upgraded Bootcamp drivers for older Mac and Windows 10.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Apple officially supports Macs created in 2012 and later in Windows 10.

9. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I am using MBP mid 2010 with Windows 7 Professional installed via Bootcamp.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ahh, I didn't know it was downloaded automatically, but as mentioned you as the user still need to initiate the upgrade process.

Apple has been doing this for years now. Yes, its asinine, but its not limited to MS.

I find Win10 is to be a huge improvement over windows 8.1. Fast, stable and brings back some of what was missing in windows 8

The jump from win7 to win 10 may not feel as good, as the design changes brings back some of the stuff that is in windows 7 but dropped in win8. The upgrade is free for a one year, so if you think you'll be wanting it, down the road upgrade, otherwise if you're happy with windows 7, then keep it.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Apple does not automatically download new copies of OS X onto Macs. On iOS devices and even Android phones I understand the behavior due to the fast pace of the market, but on the computer it is asking for trouble. An iOS or Android OTA update supports devices completely, but since Windows is such a fragmented market, it is dangerous for Microsoft to do what they are doing. Most users do not know that their 2011 MacBook Pro will not run Windows 10 without modification to the drivers for example.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple does it with iOS, so yes, they've been doing this for years ;)

Its actually more invasive on the phone given the space constraints users typically feel on phones, rather then computers.

13. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

This works very nicely. I've used it to make Windows 10 notifications, etc. go away for me with my Windows 7 bootcamp install. I not need or want Windows 10 for anything. In fact, it breaks some games I want to play which is all I use it for anyway. I will eventually move to virtualized Windows XP & Windows 7 for playing old Windows classic games without reboots at all once I've caught up on certain ones that require a native Windows install to play well. In those environments and for my purposes, I do not need updates turned on at all.

14. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

Windows 10 was one of the best updates from Microsoft. It made my older computer feel much faster, all of my friends that have upgraded also saw a speed boost on older hardware.

But it might not be worth it until you read the new privacy guidelines!

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The big difference I see with downloading it to phones vs. computers has nothing to do with space. When Apple pushes an iOS update out, you know that the OS has been tested to work fully with your hardware and give a comparable user experience to the past version. Granted, there are exceptions (iOS 4 on iPhone 3G or iOS 7.0 on iPhone 4), but the hardware is always supported. Since Microsoft serves a diverse market of computers, tablets, etc. pushing the update is dangerous. I doubt that some tablets and computers sold even last year with Windows 8 will work properly with 10, and in light of the fact that manufacturers do not include disk drives or even USB ports on some machines, the end user is stuck with an OS that does not work properly, should they update, and that they cannot restore easily.

16. Dirtyharry50, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016

Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Personally, I think user choice should be absolutely respected across the board. I don't mind unobtrusive marketing of the latest/greatest at all and appreciate efforts to evolve and improve software. However, I may sometimes for my own reasons whatever they might be have other ideas and want to stay where I am with something for a time, even a long time. So I don't want to be nagged about it. I don't want recommended updates to download or install anything that is not directly related to the existent operating system. Such updates should always fall into the optional category in a system where recommended results in anything being automatically downloaded even if it is not automatically installed but instead prompts for that after wasting my bandwidth, disk space and potentially causing a minor impact in system performance while it downloads. I want my preferences to be respected and I don't want them questioned.

I am the customer. Therefore, I am always right. Period.

It's amazing how often companies, particularly their marketing departments and upper management struggle with this very basic notion. I will not be beaten into submission. That is not happening. I'm sure I am not the only one to feel this way.