What should be in my pictures folder??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JD08DMAX, Aug 22, 2009.

1. JD08DMAX macrumors member

Hello all!!
    I recently made "the switch". I place all of my pictures in the my pictures folder on my imac and then did an import thru iphoto. Now my pictures folders are still showing up in the pictures folder along with iphoto library. Are these picture files duplicated? Can i delete the original folders i drug over from my external drive?
    Thanks for the help loving the switch so far...Getting an iphone starts the prcess for sure!
    Jim

2. RangerFan104 macrumors newbie

Congratulations on the switch. Welcome to the community! :D
    When you imported those photo's to iPhoto you probably had an option selected called "Copy files." This keeps them in the folder they came from and just clones them in your iPhoto library. If you don't want this to happen anymore, when you import your photos to iPhoto find a box called "Move Files" (it should be under copy files). This won't duplicate the files it will just move them into your iPhoto library. You can delete the original folders from your external drive as the files are now on your computer.

Hope I helped

:apple: Phil

3. geoffshep macrumors member

Yes - but definately check first. Right click on the iphoto icon in your pictures folder, then select 'show package contents'. There you should see a folder called 'originals' in which you should find folders for each year (probably just one 2009 for you). In that folder should be folders for each of your events, each holding your pictures.