What should I add on my future Macbook Pro 15"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by szevo, May 7, 2010.

1. szevo macrumors newbie

Hi
    Recently, my laptop died...doesn't boot anymore and I just got a new job and a laptop is pretty useful for that.
    Before Apple updated their MBPs I was thinking about getting a 13" MBP with i5 inside and since that's not happening, I don't know what should I do. Get the 15" core i5 or wait for the next 13". Money is not really a big problem if the price is not higher than ~2500$
    I can't make a easy decision because of a lot of things:
    • i5 2.40 Ghz or 2.53
    • heat
    • normal screen or Hi res
    • USB 3.0 support on the next update
    • size ( I'd really prefer 13")
    • HDD or SSD
    • Time before the next update
    • Back to School Special
    • other stuff that I can't remember

I'd really like to have some advice on those things and help me make a choice..fast!
    Thanks

SzEvo

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Don't hold your breath for an i5 or USB 3.0 in the next revision, which won't be for several months.

The BTS promotion should be starting soon, probably within 1-2 months. It won't be updated before then.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

4. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

They just recently updated and I think now is the time - when the BTS promo hits is the time to act. DON'T HOLD OUT FOR THE NEXT BIGGEST THING, BECAUSE IT WILL ALWAYS BE COMING! Just get it if you want it.

5. prss14 macrumors regular

prss14

They were just updated. Wait for BTS then buy.

6. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I too am a bit disappointed with Apple's offerings. I appreciate the graphics but the chipset etc is getting a bit old. Apple will be getting a great deal on those chips but the price hike in Europe just makes it seem not worth the money to me.

7. davidw macrumors member

8. szevo thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I think it's pretty clear that I'll buy the 15" MBP when BTS starts.
    Is there any thing that I have to get in this laptop? Like if the Hi Res screen is really worth it or the 2.53Ghz CPU is worth the 150$..etc
    I use my laptop for almost everything, I code a lot, I don't game a lot but I use my laptop to develop some games. It would be my main computer.
    I just don't want to miss anything and it will be my first MAC.

9. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

If size does really matter (that's what she said) then perhaps you should get the base line 13" and put an SSD in there to speed it up a bit? Also, the new integrated graphics for the 13" have been improved dramatically, so if you don't want the extra heat and noise of the faster processors, and need the portability of a laptop, go for the 13" MBP.

10. szevo thread starter macrumors newbie

But the thing is my old laptop had almost the same specs as the 13"MBP...spending 1500$ on the same old technology...don't think it's worth it.
    But I really consider the ssd but I don't know if it would be better to get it myself because I have no idea which one Apple is gonna put in it.

11. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

Yeah, it would be better if you buy it and install it yourself as then you still have the hard drive that comes with the MBP. I have no idea what SSD to go for though, as I have hardly any experience with Macs first hand (I'm looking to buy a 13" in the BTS promotion this summer, and all I know has just come from reading).

12. onehoop macrumors member

onehoop

pushing the 13"

I doubt that your previous laptop had similar specs unless it was recent enough to be running DDR3 ram? Most OS X programs don't do enough calculations to benefit from marginal increases in GHz... the bus through which the data travels is more important. Of course, my opinion is truly only worth: 2¢

Anyway, I'm in a similar situation, except that my laptop is not dead and I don't have a job! I don't watch many movies on the 15" screen and it is a little large for modern airplanes unless you are flying first class. I'm still tempted to get the 15" for the matte screen option and the more modern processor. I have had so many temperature issues with this laptop that I'm not anxious to jump back on that train!

I also wanted to remind you that you could buy a significant portion of an iPad with the price difference! If the major issue is screen real estate (it is nice being able to put a reference window behind the one you are working in.), then perhaps you could run iDisplay on the iPad. Of course, Spaces /Expose do an adequate job for most users.

Then again, the iPad +13"MBP will weigh more than just a 15"MBP! [1.5lbs+4.5lbs≥5.6lbs, especially if you factor in protective casings.] I wouldn't be surprised if iPads are pushed with BTS sale anyway. But do you really want to wait that long? When does BTS start?

Final point of consideration, the porting is not so significant as it once was... everything is on the same side for both models and you have to jump to the 17" to get an expresscard slot if you wanted to run an eSATA drive.

M@

13. szevo thread starter macrumors newbie

Seriously, I don't really understand why there's so much hype about the iPad. What can a iPad add to a MBP?

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Portability. IMO it's just a giant iPod Touch which can't replace a laptop. Nice toy but not very useful (at least for me)

15. szevo thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree with you on that. For the portability I have my iPod Touch and my Nexus One

16. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

It's very difficult to give you good advice without know how you plan to use the MBP, what your applications are and your preferences.

If portability and price are not issues then the obvious answer is get the MBP 15. J

17. szevo thread starter macrumors newbie

Well since it will be my first Mac, I don't really know what Mac software I'll use but its for certain that I'll try everything just for fun.
    My normal use of a laptop is HD videos, Java/C++ programming with Eclipse Netbeans. Game programming with OpenGL mostly. Photoshop sometimes. A little bit of video editing and maybe some gaming like StarCraft 2. Music ( FL studio)

18. 81Tiger04 macrumors 6502

Are you inferring that the iPad could come with the MBP as opposed to an iPod Touch?

19. pgifford macrumors member

pgifford

There's no way that'll happen. They can barely keep up with current ipad demand as it is. And the BTS deal will probably start within the month.