what should I be doing in Lion? And finder confusion-

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by vix2000, Jul 26, 2011.

1. vix2000 macrumors regular

being a new mac convert I had only scratched the surface of Snow Leopard before I am faced with Lion!!!!

I have a problem with the side bar in finder, as although I can't remember the exact layout in SL there seems to be loads missing in Lion?

Also it is not seeming much different so I think I must be missing something. What should I be doing in Lion thats new, please? Thanks.

2. chipmullins macrumors newbie

Lion

Well, the sidebar in Mac OS X Lion has been changed. It is a much easier way of finding the things you need. There isn't really much missing from Lion. It is all combined into a much better interface.

Mac OS X Lion doesn't seem much different out first to a lot of people. This is because Mac OS X Lion is a lot of 'small' things that make the OS better. You will notice some differences as you use the OS more. Two awesome features of Mac OS X Lion are LaunchPad and Mission Control. LaunchPad is a way to view all your applications on your Mac. You can read my overview of LaunchPad here. Mission Control is a way of combining Dashboard, Expose, and Spaces together. If you click F3 on your keyboard, you'll see the new Mission Control. It now groups all the windows opened on your Mac together, making it much easier to navigate. If you want to know more about Mac OS X Lion, I'd be happy to tell you some more features.

3. pawelthegreat macrumors member

pawelthegreat

You can finally export only audio from quicktime!

AirDrop! Bring two Macs running Lion close to each other and share files the easy way!!!!

4. vix2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks chipmullins and pwelthegreat- Dashboard, Expose, and Spaces I have not used these, are they similar to my hyperdock which shows open windows when I hover over the app icon, or are these better? Also my linkstation live used to show in the finder side bar but is not there now.

5. jman240 macrumors 6502a

When you have a finder window selected, go to Finder in the menu bar and select preferences. Look through there. Lots of stuff is hidden by default like drives and connected devices.

6. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Unfortunately, it seems to automatically reencode the audio instead of giving you to the option to extract the original audio stream. QT Player's export functionality is seriously lacking. One more reason to keep Quicktime Player 7 around. I just hope, by the time QUicktime Player 7 doesn't run on the latest version of OS X anymore, QT Player (X) will have become a viable alternative.

7. vix2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi thanks I have just ticked all these but still no linkstation. This is strange as I am currently watching "24" from the LS through my ATV so I know its working, and if I open nas navigator and scan the LS is there!!!! But it used to show in finder under devices I think.

8. jman240 macrumors 6502a

I think there are bugs with Lion and NAS right now.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388928,00.asp

9. vix2000 thread starter macrumors regular