What should I buy: an iMac or a Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bill McEnaney, May 10, 2010.

1. Bill McEnaney macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to order an iMac in two or three days. But since I could save some money by buying a Mac Mini instead, please tell what you think I should get. The new computer will be mostly for voice-overs because I'm trying to break into radio and into voice acting. I'll do plenty of logic programming on it, too, i.e., functional programming and logic programming. I'll need to install MS-Windows, too, unfortunately, because Adobe Audition is for Windows platforms only.

Thanks.

Bill

2. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

Adobe Audition was renamed to Adobe Soundbooth in the last couple CS suites, CS3 I think was when it was renamed, I may be mistaken. And those are on MAC now! :)

3. alent1234 macrumors 603

if you have a monitor keyboard and mouse Mac Mini is a good value. otherwise it gets a little expensive. same hardware in the Mini as in the 21.5" iMac

4. Bill McEnaney thread starter macrumors 6502

My only monitor is the old Dell monitor I'm using with my Sun workstation. If I need to attach it to a Mac Mini, I'll need an adapter, I think, because there's no USB connector on the cable that attaches the monitor to the workstation.

5. Bill McEnaney thread starter macrumors 6502

That's great news because I'm allergic to anything Microsoftie, especially Microsoft, and Microsoft is about as Microsoftie as anything can get.:eek::)

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Huh? when did we start talking about MS?

Monitors do not hook up to a mini via USB, has nothing to do with it.

Sounds like you are going to need a new monitor + mouse + keyboard if you go the mini route = get an iMac instead.

$1099 AR, nothing else to buy except for a backup drive, $70

http://www.macconnection.com/

7. Bill McEnaney thread starter macrumors 6502

Badger^2, I thought I needed to install Windows on an iMac's hard disk because I had read that Adobe Audition was for Microsoft platforms only. Another poster here told me that Adobe renamed that program to "Soundbooth" and that a version of it would now run on a Mac. I wrote about my "allergy" partly because I'm glad I don't need to run Microsoft Windows on the iMac I'll order. I mentioned MS-Windows when I began this thread. Remember? ;)

8. Bill McEnaney thread starter macrumors 6502

9. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

updates are coming up s0on:apple::apple:wait don't rush
    you gonna pay about the same but you get a better performance IMac

10. Bill McEnaney thread starter macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity, I'd love to take your advice, but I've already ordered the computer because I need it for something I do for a friend of mine. Besides, would I worry much about coming updates when I'm content with my 10-year-old workstation? :) If not for my voice-over work, I probably would upgrade the old machine's OS to Solaris 10 and keep using that machine . I'm a perfectionist when I program. I want my programs to be correct, superbly structured, ultra-readable, and lightning fast. I'll let others decide whether those programs are that way. Call me a dinosaur if you like. I just don't feel an urge the latest piece of hardware when my current computer does what I need it to do. The newest things in my house are my year-old Peachtree Decco amplifier and its speakers. I'm a programmer, an aspiring radio announcer, and an audiophile.

11. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

12. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

uhhh Audition is only for windows, soundbooth is a completely separate program that is on both system.

13. Bill McEnaney thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, my friend. I'm sure I will enjoy it, at least until the charge posts to my credit card account. :eek: I hate to use credit cards.

14. Bill McEnaney thread starter macrumors 6502

Aha! Then I need Soundbooth.

15. Bill McEnaney thread starter macrumors 6502

16. Pojo458 macrumors member

Pojo458

I recommend the imac, it may be expensive but it saves you the trouble of getting a new monitor which can go up to $200-$400 for decent ones. Plus the Imac has better specs than the mini